• This topic has 59 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aide.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Mark's subscription change email
  • u02sgb
    Free Member

Ok, just read it. So changing to 6 magazines a year that are slightly bigger. Sounds ok to me and I like the paper copy so this seems like a reasonable compromise. There will be other opinions… 🙂

u02sgb
    Free Member

Aaaannd wrong forum… sorry.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m happy with the shift to 6 mags but more content in each one. The quality is a big reason i still get the print mag. Plus having even more to read when on the trap will be appreciated

sturmeyarcher

Same here, no complaints. Looking forward to seeing the evolution and I’m glad they are going the way they are.

legspin
    Free Member

Hopefully 6 larger copies will be higher quality content wise than 8 normal. But no complaints here.

ChrisL

On balance I think I’m fine with the change. As Mark and the others have probably concluded, a substantial price hike to account for the increased production costs would probably have been more likely to make me consider the future of my subscription. Reducing the number of issues but increasing their size while not changing the overall price (I’m hoping) works better for me.

I’m not so happy about the “Premier Edition” box appearing on the cover though!

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Can’t beat a nice bit of print.

Keep up the good work fellas & ladies.

roger_mellie

What happens the next time there’s a big increase in print costs; a switch to 4 issues a year?

More content per issue but fewer issues per year sounds fine to me, but it also appears from the email/ forthcoming editorial that each article will be longer. I bought the first issue of Cranked but didn’t buy any more issues as I found it too ‘wordy’. Current ST articles I find are just the right length. I don’t think I’d like a move to longer articles but happy to be pleasantly surprised.

weeksy

Don’t read the mags, i only pay the subs to get rid of the adverts on here.

vondally
    Free Member

What email?

a11y

Sounds fine to me.

I struggle to find the time to sit down and read the magazine as it is and am forever to’ing and fro’ing about cancelling and going digital only, but I just HATE reading magazines via digital methods. Always worth it when I do find the time.

nairnster
    Free Member

So how do th3 changes benefit digital subscribers?

spacehopper

sounds perfectly reasonable for me..

One thing puzzled me though.. Doesn’t the printing two different length magazines for subscribers and news-stand not create an extra cost?

Sandwich

What email?

I suspect they are sending them out in batches depending on your subscription number, mine has just arrived (sub no. 2800-ish). Either that or it took the pretty way round the internet to get to me.

Andy

Happy with that. Really enjoying reverting to Print subscription. I wont notice the 6 instead of 8.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Happy with the change. More concerned about the additional premier content. Tom Richey interview = good. A nine page advert for Endura by dressing Wil in winter clothing read like desperation.

colin9

I’m not against this, less often with more content seems a reasonable compromise. Conversely, the quality of the paper is not a big deal for me.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

no complaints from me.

thenorthwind

Not being a subscriber, this is the first I’ve heard of this, but I’m probably more likely to subscribe with this new format.

vondally
    Free Member

nine page advert for Endura by dressing Will in winter clothing read like desperation.

This and some serious repetitions in content….First aid again?

That I recognise is partly being old and been reading since issue one but some of the articles are feeling tired.

Ben_H

Happy with the change, insofar as I can be.

I really look forward to the print edition, so fewer issues isn’t ideal – but this is a well-explained and balanced decision by the Singletrack people as far as I can see.

I keep having to remind myself that the subs pay towards the forums, too – from which I gain daily advice, laughs and so on.

clubby

Two different length and covers. I know the theory is us subscribers get a bit of extra value, but tbh I can only think of a couple of the articles that I found decent. Most tend to be pretty photo heavy. Surely the premier content could be moved to digital only, without losing much experience.
    Like many have said, I prefer reading articles in print but photos are the same online.

I’ve subscribed for a long time ( sub no 201) and have bought every issue and think going back to fewer yearly issues is a good idea. There have been a few issues recently where some articles have definitely been there just to fill pages.
    Also, having recently gone back through the issues, I miss the opinion articles. Used to be 2-3 per issue but have all but disappeared. I know it must be difficult to find interesting writers to commit to every issue but it was a big part of the early days.
    Lastly, no more Ride guides to the dark peaks. Do you guys realise how many you’ve done? I know it’s your back door but come on. Also some new parts of Scotland would be good i.e. Not Aviemore, Glentress or Fort William.

sandal100

Doesn’t the printing two different length magazines for subscribers and news-stand not create an extra cost?

It does because they have to make the press ready again to print the extra 16pp section. Binding an extra 16pp into the book isn’t difficult and depending what type of binder it’s done on can be changed over fairly quickly.

I’ve never come across magazines that add extra pages for subscribers though, usually it’s just a different cover. Some publishers use thinner paper as well because it saves on postage costs so less issues with more in seems better than making the magazine feel cheap.

allfankledup

This +1

I don’t mind the move to 6 copies if it keeps the print edition available. Will need to find something to read in the interim….

vinnyeh

A good move considering the difficulties they outlined.
    I like it that they’re not afraid to experiment to try and find something that works to support them as circumstances change, there’s been a lot of change in the mag and website over the years. Probably helps that (I’m guessing) there’s a fairly laid back subscriber base.

They probably could have changed it to an annual as far as I’m concerned- I’ll read it when it arrives, (and appreciate the work in it!), but I’ve never sat at home twiddling my thumbs wondering when the next issue’s going to drop through the door.

DaveRambo

Seems like a sensible move to me and one that I’m happy with.

andybrad

vondally – Member
    nine page advert for Endura by dressing Will in winter clothing read like desperation.
    This and some serious repetitions in content….First aid again?

That I recognise is partly being old and been reading since issue one but some of the articles are feeling tired.

One of the reasons ive let mine lapse. I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the next mag release and if its a lot better than the last one as this would encourage me to return as a subscriber.

kelvin

I was happy with fewer issues in the past… time seems to fly between issues… it must be even worse for those sorting the meaty content for the mag.

The cleaner the covers the better. Already feels “special” and “premier” without the headlines.

Toasty

Seems like a shame, whatever offers the most stability sounds fine by me though.

Tragically I’d just resubscribed after xmas via a gift sub, yet to receive an issue. I’m hoping 25% less issues equates to a partial refund on these accounts and not a 25% price hike.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m all for it, but only subs for digital and on here.

BOL fellas.

Your work is appreciated.

Tiger6791

Is this why I’ve not received a paper mag in ages?

Del

they probably have an old email for me.
    TBH i had thought the mag got thinner again about 4 issues after the ‘re-launch’. the number of pages appeared to drop by about 25%. just an observation.
    i can’t build much enthusiasm to open mine these days and they tend to wait until i have to travel for work. i only opened the recent one to get the calender out.

franksinatra

Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed the email from my junk folder.

I’m happy with this and, as a result, have just changed by sub from digital only to print. I just realised that I miss print.

Beagleboy

I quite welcome the reduction in the number of issues. I used to love it when the quarterly issue dropped through my letterbox. The time between issues just made it all the sweeter when the next mag arrived. The last year or so though, I’ve seen me finding the mag a month or more after it arrived, still in its wrapper under a pile of other stuff. There was even a couple of times when I seriously contemplated cancelling my subscription!

So yeah, less is better in my opinion. It’ll hopefully bring back the heady days of wondering if that thump on the front door mat was my lovely new bike magazine….rather than yet another whopper of a credit card bill!

C. 🙂

andytherocketeer

they probably have an old email for me.

Mine went to a different email address to that which is registered in the premier section and the forum profile section, so one would assume that there’s somewhere else where an email is also registered.
    Not a problem in my case, both are still valid.
    Think I updated the email address just before Christmas.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m happy to have 6 issues instead of 8 it’ll make me look forward to them more

nolanbell

Hi all. If anyone has questions relating to their subscription, can you please email subs@singletrackworld.com with your questions. Thanks.

wwaswas

I was expecting the usual level of this;

You’ve let me down people.

fwiw, I’m happy with the change.

mos

It’s a great mag & for me, nothing in the UK comes close.
    Whatever they need to do to keep it in print is fine by me.

Northwind

Works fine for me though I do wonder what effect it might have on new subs- I read a couple of less regular mags and it puts them into “pick up when you see it” territory.

Still, forward the print magazine, there’s no such thing as a digital magazine, just badly formatted websites

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Mark's subscription change email’ is closed to new replies.