Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Mark up percentage on razorblades
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Bought 8 blades today – gilette fusion, the standard ones – £16.99!

They cant cost more than a few pence to produce surely? Must be one of highest profit products on the shelf.

What else dya reckon?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Just steal them. I do, and my face is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It's a toss up between them and dura-ace jockey wheels.

allthepies
    Free Member

Wilkos own brand here 🙂

chorlton
    Free Member

Asda and Tesco do packs of 10 for about 25p.

£16.99? Did you get a massage as well? 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

It's a disgrace. They are more expensive than their equivalent weight in gold.
    I bought a nice WAHL trimmer and just, well "trim" nowadays.

naokfreek
    Free Member

I bought a nice WAHL trimmer and just, well "trim" nowadays.

Same…Hav'nt used a razor for maybe 10 years..clippers on lowset setting is as short as it gets.

Not that there is that much to get rid of 🙄

zokes
    Free Member

Talkemada – Member

Just steal them. I do, and my face is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

And funnily enough, the majority of stuff that leaves a baby's bottom is better to listen to than the rubbish that comes out of your mouth, Fred.

GJP
    Free Member

I did read a few years ago that Gilette invested over $1bn in R&D into one of their new razors. That is a f*** of a lot of money to invest in a razor.

So to understand their profitability you have to look at the overall profits from the product over its lifetime and that includes the substantial R&D sunk cost.

Razor innovation is a cut throat business each manufacturer leap frogging their competitors every six months or so.

Do you see what I did there 😯

ojom
    Free Member

Don't shave. Bosh.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Zokes; I find it very flattering that you give my inane ramblings so much consideration.

Sadly, I cannot remember one single thing of note you've ever said. 🙁

Want a hug?

Talkemada
    Free Member

GJP; I saw what you did there, and I like it! 😀

MtbCol
    Free Member

King Of shaves £4.99 for 4 at my local Boots – and I get a much better shave and a lot more life out of them than I did from the old Gillettes I used to use.

Gillette can wave goodbye to having a presence in my bathroom..

montylikesbeer

Get a DE razor and a pack of blades for £2.00, works for me

Kevevs
    Free Member

"Bought 8 blades today – gilette fusion, the standard ones – £16.99!"

You obviously have far too much money. It's the most stolen item in supermarkets. They have their own security devices. Go down a dodgy little sidestreet pub and wait to be offered some. That's how I get mine.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Just get one of those plug in alternatives.

RustySpanner

Strawberry Switchblade!

Fred, you're a genius.
    Since Yesterday.

Ah, the memories……

CaptJon
    Free Member

5-10p a shave..?

BigCol
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

ASDA own brand triple blades. They last almost a week and shave well right up to the point where you can feel it pulling on your hairs. About 2 quid for 4 I think.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Buy a proper razor that uses the old fashioned blades.

Loads cheaper and a better shave as well.

i wouldnt want to use a cut throat razor near my balls!

ourmaninthenorth

F*** me, are people still surprised at the retail policy of Gillette? Jesus Christ, entire MBA theses have been written on it..!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Asda's own brand 5 blade razor is awesome I switched to that

grantway
    Free Member

Noticed the prices going up last year in the end I bought
    a Phillips HS8440 for men shaver. Half price at Boots for £ 75 quid.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I don't steal them as I'm a good lad, I wouldn't buy stolen ones from pondlife in the boozer, I'm certainly not rich by any stretch. Did try the king of shaves razor and thought it was prettty good but it's lacking the single blade that's so useful for trimming right under your nose and for tidying your sideys. The blades on the k-o-s are a good few mm from the top edge. And they ain't 4.99 for 4 in my boots, 9.50 yesterday ( unless they were on the wrong hook on the shelf)

montylikesbeer

Try this, works for me and saves a ruck of money

DE razor clicky all for £18.00 with free shave soap

Derby blades £2.59

nickc

There was an offer at Xmas 20 blades for £12.99, or something like that, still working through them.

ski
    Free Member

I must be lucky, as the bic disposable last me months!

I must have easy going, bum fluff of a beard 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

I don't shave anymore. Bought a beard trimmer for £25 a couple of years ago and trim it once a week. I think people at work have just accepted now that I am not particularly well groomed. It's kind of liberating. 😆

grumm
    Free Member

I prefer the look I describe as 'hobo chic'.

grtdkad

Still can't quite get my head around the $1.8bn R&D budget…surely their R&D would take something like half a day?
    Local students in a room…
    …3 or 4 blades?
    …with / without conditioning strip?

Better / Worse – tick as appropriate.

Sorted!!

Me thinks that their Head of R&D has a very nice yacht and stable of exotic cars, that, or said budget is actually for TV ads at prime time every 20 bloody minutes!

Talkemada
    Free Member

I prefer the look I describe as 'hobo chic'.

Don't you mean 'scruffy reprobate'? 😀

footflaps

According to Wikipedia:
    "An industry insider has revealed that the Fusion range of blades, which cost $0.08 each to manufacture, sell with a mark-up of more than 4,750%."

miketually
    Free Member

Gilette invested over $1bn in R&D into one of their new razors

Still can't quite get my head around the $1.8bn R&D budget

Couple of quid on a flipchart. Couple more on some pens. Write "stick another blade on". Spend $17999990 on champagne, coke and hookers.

chewkw
    Free Member

M6TTF – Member

Bought 8 blades today – gilette fusion, the standard ones – £16.99!

They cant cost more than a few pence to produce surely? Must be one of highest profit products on the shelf.

What else dya reckon?

Old school double edge safety razor is your solution.

I have just ordered a blue pack Personna razor (200) blade after reading some good reviews on them.

At the moment I am using Gillette DE razor blade imported from overseas so will only be able to compare them once I got them.

For £15 plus £3.50 postage = 200 DE razor blade & you can shave until you bleed.

The modern plastic razors are just rip off to be honest and also take the pleasure out of shaving every morning.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I tried many alternatives to the latest Gillette, all hurt my face like absolute f*ck. Once I even tried to go all old skool and got a safety razor that took traditional blades, and some shave soap and a brush. Christ almighty, I thought I was flaying myself alive. It was absolute agony.

Now I have a Babyliss trimmer thing and clip to 1mm about once a week. Far better 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Once I even tried to go all old skool and got a safety razor that took traditional blades, and some shave soap and a brush. Christ almighty, I thought I was flaying myself alive. It was absolute agony.

There are three possible reasons for that:

1) Your skin might be too dry to use soap. Same happened to me as I thought the skin on my face was peeled off by sand paper after a wet shave. Try avoid soap but instead use some shaving cream.

Solution: Or better still try to apply some cold extract/pressed oil (thin layer) like Olive, Almond, Hemp seed, Jojobar etc to your face and leave it for 3-5 mins. Then apply some shaving cream or soap to start wet shave. After you have finished shaving apply cold water and apply after shave cream / moisturiser whatever you want.

2) Applying too much pressure which you shouldn't.

Solution: Do not press the blade but rather let the blade do the cutting.

3) Angle of holding the safety razor while you shave.

Solution: The one you have might be too aggressive for you so you might want to try some of the adjustable safety razors such as Merkur progress / Gillette fatboy/slim. Merkur Futur can be rather aggressive.

🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Mark up percentage on razorblades’ is closed to new replies.