• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mt.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Marin Rough Ride – to ride or not to ride – that is the question…
  • OrangeEvo
    Free Member

I am in a quandary as to whether I should give the Marin Rough Ride another go (http://www.roughride.co.uk/). ❓

I did the full 100km last year and swore I’d never do it again due to what I perceived to be the high proportion of ridiculously impossible climbs.

So far this year I’ve done HONC and the DYFI enduro; 100km HONC in under 6 hours and finished about half way in the DYFI – felt strong and fit on both rides. I guess in terms of riding ability I’m Mr Average.

Last years Rough Ride really ticked me off somewhat – I lost count of the number of climbs that I (and from what I could see) the majority of the field had to get off and push up. I finished the ride with awful cramp in my calf’s – not through riding but probably from the 5 miles of uphill walking I’d done. At one point I also had to jump clear of some nutter on a trials bike (who I’ve since found was once of the organisers).

However, my brother is once again really keen to do it and I don’t know what to do…

Am I being a big Mary Queen? Should I just shut up moaning and ride?

iPed
    Free Member

It’s funny how different people look back on things a year on…. I did the event last year – but remember it as 75k, only remember 2 or 3 ‘walking’ hills – 1 fairly early on where pretty much every one walked, 1 just after the short/long split and 1 just after the lunch stop

My memory of it all is suffering from the heat

Will I do it again?

No – because the ‘campsite’ is utter w@n&

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you’re still that p1ssed off with it a year later and nothing is changin on the event I’d say “no”

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

Yes, sorry it was 75K; I just remember it was the longer of the two routes on offer.

I remember the organiser’s review of last year’s event apologising for running out of something or other on one of the stops on the 48K route because they were taken by surprise by the large number of people choosing the shorter option – I remember thinking how unsurprised I was at that…

You’re right though, I am still pee’d off – I’ll choose another event…

DWH
    Free Member

Enduro’s have different characteristics. IMO the Dyfi is noted for it’s (relatively) easy fire road climbs and (relatively) rough descents. The Rough Ride is more your “Epic ride in the hills” kind of event. The OP is probably right that the climbs are steeper than the Dyfi (but all 100% rideable IMO), but in compensation the descent’s are more relaxed. The Merida’s are generally more variable with a greater variety of ascents and descents.

I think if you’re tempted by it you should give it another go, and maybe get some more miles in your legs beforehand. After all – the hills won’t have changed will they?

martyntr
    Free Member

This year will be my third Roughride. It doesn’t compare to anything else that I do every year as it can be rather “epic” and the grassy climbs can be very energy sapping.

On a positive note they have Jamaican Ginger cake at the feed point half way round 🙂

Last years Roughride was the hottest ride that I did last year. The hot weather made it much more tough. Infact it took me over 1 hour longer than the previous year to complete the 75km route. This year I’ll be looking for about 6 hours or there abouts. Nice and easy and enjoy the day out 😉

swoosh
    Free Member

i’m doing it this year for the first time on the back of a mate having done it several times and another mate doing the long route last year for the first time. Feedback was that although it is a long way in the heat, the long route was good. This year he’s gonna do the shorter route as he isn’t as fit as last year and almost died then so god knows what he’ll be like this year.

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

but all 100% rideable IMO

Yeah right… :mrgreen:

DWH
    Free Member

Ah, yeah – I’d erm… forgotten that bit 😳

swoosh
    Free Member

if it stays dry, i might be in the market for some semi-slicks by the look of those pics.

whytetrash

I’ve entered this morning as some clubmates doing it, I know photos don’t do climbs justice but those LOOK rideable?…was it the heat or the length of them?…also whats up with the campsite then iPed….is it worth booking in elesewhere?

ps OrangeEvo do a bit of running…helps me no-end when I have to get off and push!

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

Yes I agree, the climb on the photo looks like one my mum could ride up – but believe me the camera has flattened it an awful lot.

The heat was incredible last year – I suffered a lot because of it.

franki
    Free Member

When I did the long route a few years ago I’d say 99% was rideable if you had the fitness and skill.
    I could have ridden all but a couple of short sections, but I did have to hop off on a couple of the climbs towards the end until the gradient eased, when painful twinges of cramp set in.
    There were a lot of people pushing up climbs I rode, probably not much slower, but I’m really stubborn and won’t let a climb I think is doable beat me!

It’s not a ride I’d undertake lightly though. It really is a grueller and I went through several bad patches before picking up again and finishing quite strongly. I won’t be riding this year as I haven’t got the miles in my legs and it would probably kill me!

DWH
    Free Member

They changed the course last year and added the steep climb that OrangeEvo is alluding to – the one that I forgot.

I reckon the route is now 98% rideable 😉

mt
    Free Member

Do it don’t be soft, you know you want to. The Rough Ride and the Dfyi are about the best events out there for there off road content. How often do you get to ride most of an event actually of road and not including a forest track?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Marin Rough Ride – to ride or not to ride – that is the question…’ is closed to new replies.