Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Marin East Peak V’s Specialized FSR XC Comp
  • thepodge
    Free Member

OK, looks like i’m only getting a new swingarm as a warranty replacement on the old Rift Zone so I figure its time to get a new bike.

I’ve narrowed it down to either

Marin East Peak
    Pro = optional Maxle back end
    Con = last year’s bike (08)

or
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Pro = newer specification
    Con = home brand shock

I know there are a lot of other bikes out there around this price range but there are the two I’m looking at.

I’ve never ridden anything except single pivot before so both will be a change.

what are people’s thought on the two bikes?

cheers

stumpy01

Both seem to have fairly similar specs……are you sure the Spesh rear shock is in house though? I thought X Fusion is a brand in it’s own right, which is what the Evans site says is on the FSR XC??

….can you not try them before you buy? I know my LBS has an FSR XC demo bike……bit close to call between them, I would have thought although the FSR did get a great ‘first ride’ review in MBR at the tail end of last yr.

The-Badger
    Free Member

If the east peak rides like my Whyte (and it should as the suspension looks identical) I’d go with the Marin – i am very happy with my Whyte E-120. Both Spec and Marin are simelar money but the Fox suspension would swing it for me. The groupsets are the same and haven’t really changed this year so the east peak looks better value.

thepodge
    Free Member

stumpy01 – are you sure the Spesh rear shock is in house though?

I may have miss read that. I thought it was home brand but I would well be wrong.

unfortunatly other than a quick car park ride I don’t know anywhere convenient that can give me a proper demo.

they are very close in spec and weight and travel.

any one else have any thoughts?

Potdog
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the East Peaks a few times and to me it felt a little short in the cockpit and I felt quite high up and very upright on it. Suspension worked well though although it’s a bit of a bugger to get into the rear shock for cleaning as the quad link thing makes access a bit on the tight size.

The FSR XC felt better to me in terms of position on the bike, but then my usual ride is an old style Enduro, so probably felt right because it’s very similar to that.

Even a quick car park ride must be worth while to see if you’re happy with the way the bike feels.

thepodge
    Free Member

oh course yeah, the quick run round the car park will be worth it but i didn’t think that would make my mind up.

BoardinBob

I have the 2009 FSR XC Comp.

I’m 5’11” and I went for the large. The medium felt way too small.

The rear shock is an X-Fusion that’s been tweaked especially for Specialized. It’s nice and plush and it works away across all terrain without you noticing it.

The fork (on my model at least) is terrible. Tora 302 SL. The large model came with the stiff spring which was way too stiff for me even though I’m the wrong side of 200lbs. I swapped it for the medium spring last week and it’s made it a lot more responsive and the rebound has improved, but it still refuses to give more than 70mm out of a supposed 120mm.

SLX rear mech is pretty nice.

Shifters are a bit plasticky but they work perfectly.

Avid Juicy 3 SL brakes. 203mm rotors on mine and they’re stupidly powerful but they feel nice and easy to control.

Tyres are crap.

Frame is really nice and a good platform for upgrades.

Weighs just under 31lbs. A fork change could knock a couple of pounds off as the Tora comes in at 5.5lbs.

Overall I really like it but the fork is frustrating me at the moment so funds are being reserved for an upgrade soon.

thepodge
    Free Member

nice mini review, thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Marin East Peak V’s Specialized FSR XC Comp’ is closed to new replies.