Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • March / April warm weather road cycling trip suggestions?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Much as I’ve been embracing (or should that just be ‘bracing’ …) riding through the cold and wet weather of winter, I am hankering after a week or two somewhere warm, sunny and dry!

So, any suggestions for somewhere for a organised / guided road cycling break?

– Suitable for someone on their own (so a small group of other independents would be good)

– I’m not the fastest / fittest, especially compared to many committed guys, so would be good to have a range of ride options from 40 – 80 miles, av speed around 14 – 16 mph

– Somewhere nice to stay, with a pool if possible – it is a holiday after all!

– Not too far away – NZ and Oz might be in the middle of their summer but it’s too far to fly

– Not too expensive (I have a new house and bike cave to fit out …)

Over to the hive mind for your suggestions

RickyRah
    Free Member

Majorca is a popular choice but I’ve not been so can’t comment.

I’m off to Geneva at the end of April with the road bike but I’m not expecting it to be too warm.

jota180
    Free Member

Worth looking what’s available in Lanzarote
    I’m not sure what organised stuff there is though

I have a place out there and it’s got to be one of the most perfect cycling climates, quite a bit cheaper than mainland Spain too

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Have a look in cycling weekly,there’s quite a few cycling holiday adverts in the back.These any good? http://stuarthallcycling.co.uk/

joeegg
    Free Member

There’s good riding around the back of Benidorm(don’t be put off by the word Benidorm).
    A lot of professional teams base themselves just up the coast at Calpe so i would of thought there would be tour companies in the area.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tenerife is great for cycling but not sure about the guided stuff. The climb up the volcano is epic but the run back down is in another world.

allthegear
    Free Member

I went to Majorca a couple of years ago – stayed in Magaluf of all places and, while the actual town is a bit of an odd place out of season, you only need to cycle about 3 miles and it is beautiful!!!

We got a flight first week in March from Leeds Bradford, with half board in a 4* hotel all together for 250. Bargain!!

Oh – and they were completely okay with us carrying our bikes up to the hotel room each night, which was nice.

Rachel

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions – will check them out. Keep the ideas coming 🙂

Would prefer to go as part of a ‘group’, as it would be nice to have other folks to ride / eat etc with.

But was also considering Club La Santa in lanzarote: http://www.clublasanta.co.uk/sports-activities/cycling
    Anyone been?

FuzzyWuzzy

Think I mentioned them before when you asked but my recommendation is http://www.andaluciancyclingexperience.com/Cycling/Triathlon_winter_training.html went a couple of years back and returning on March 17th. They aren’t the cheapest once you factor in SPS and transfers but the rides sound exactly what you’re looking for (distance and pace) and should be 20-25c, friendly couple runs it and was made to feel welcome by the other riders there last time (obviously this might be variable!).

Sue_W
    Free Member

Hi FuzzyWuzzy – cheers for the link. I didn’t think it would be warm enough in March in the Alpjurras, but is it actually OK? And also, it seems to be self-catering and to be honest I would prefer to have food included as I don’t want to have to spend my tim e shopping – do you know if that’s an option?

Any other suggestions? Or recommended companies?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Few of us off to majorca with http://www.worldvelocamp.com/

27 euros a night and includes all you can eat breakfast and evening meal.

They can organise rides each day

london_lady
    Free Member

I going to Spain with Pyractif in March for their warm winter training week.
    http://www.pyractif.com/cycling-packages/road-warm-winter-training.html

kilo

We went to Riccione, Italy a few years ago, the resort is comprised of hotels all catering to cyclists, we stayed in the Belvedere which was excellent (http://www.belvederericcione.com/en/). They had three or four runs of varying ability each day, the food was good, plentiful and when you needed it. Your kit was washed when you got back in after a ride and the hire bikes were bling Mrs k had a brand new De Rosa King as her bike for the week.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m going to Mallorca with stuart hall cycling in march.

FuzzyWuzzy

@sue – I think they provide evening meals as an option and we all got together as a big group and went to a restaurant the first and last night when I was there last time (organised by the couple that run it). I’m just planning on doing pasta based stuff apart from that and porridge/banana for brekkie (you stop on the ride for lunch). I didn’t stay in the village last time but apparently there’s a couple of places for tapas etc.
    For me the temperature was near perfect, slightly chilly setting off in the morning (not enough that I bothered carrying a gilet though) and then nice and warm/hot for the rest of the ride without feeling like you’re going to melt (although you do see the odd local rider with arm and leg warmers on still :p ).

druidh
    Free Member

Ooh – I’ll have to keep an eye on this thread. I have a timeshare flat near Malaga (long story) and I was thinking if heading out there on my tod 1st week in April to do some road riding (expect some “what are the best roads threads). I reckon I could get the return flights and a hire car for around £400. An organised/group thing sounds interesting too though.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

@druidh, keep us posted with your plans. We have that week marked for a trip away somewhere hot too – but we are wanting it more of a training camp as racing prep rather than longer/slower rides.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘March / April warm weather road cycling trip suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.