• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Marathon Plus – just how draggy / difficult to fit ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

As title really, just had a thorn through my tyre, changed the inner tube and then went flat again 🙄

My tyres need replacing anyway and I’m after reliability over speed so I’ve read various things about how good the marathon plus are and I’ve also read how they are ******* to fit and are draggy.

Opinions please 😀

tomd
    Free Member

There are quite a few versions of the marathon tyre – I’ve got a set of 700C x 32 Schwalbe Marathon Plus Road Tyre – Smart Guard.

They are totally indestructible but also weigh 810g each! That’s well into mtb tyre territory and 500g more than a good all round road tyre. They also don’t give the best ride feel or grip due to their inflexibility. They are also quite tall which can be issue with some mudguards.

I don’t use them anymore, I use some Conti GP4s and put up with the odd puncture. The ride feel and grip are so much better. If you are looking for the most indestructible tyre then they are the way to go.

matts
    Free Member

Looks like they’ll cost you about 10W over a super light touring tyre. Just a bit more than that over a road race tyre.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews

EDIT: Interestingly, they’re significantly better than the Wired Randonneur

scotroutes

Fitting is fine. Those who struggle obviously lack technique.

philjunior
    Free Member

They are quite draggy, but they have recently redesigned them to be (significantly if their figures are anything to go by) less draggy. Edit – the independent tests linked to above suggest this is true!

I’d echo others that no tyre is *that* hard to fit if the correct technique is followed. The only exception being trying to run non-tubeless tyres on a ghetto tubeless rim after building up the rim bed to try and get the things to seal!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I don’t find them draggy but they are heavier so acceleration takes a bit longer. Never had a puncture with them unlike the GP4’s they replaced which had the unfortunate record of 6 in a 30 mile trip, all on the rear.
    They are tight to fit so just have the extra Weetabix before attempting it.

toby1

I think they are a good tyre, largely due to the reliability.

They are not the fastest rolling, so you have to work to upset roadies on carbon and full lycra – but it can be done.

They are firm because of the rubber insert, so yeah, they won’t help you ‘feel’ the road, but the protection is the key benefit here.

They are heavy, so am I, it’s one of the reasons I need puncture resistance.

Fit wise, soften the tyre a bit first, set one side into the trough of the wheel then work the other side on, ensure they are set into the bead before inflating.

Once they are on I had a tyre last me 2 years of commuting without more than an occasional refresh of air in the tube.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

According to that site, the standard Marathon (“Greenguard”) is not far off the resistance of a Continental 4 Season. ANyone found that to be true??

I’ve had them on a Brompton and didn’t really notice them being slow at all once pumped up to a decent pressure, but difficult to compare to a 700c wheeled bike.

matts
    Free Member

I think the very majority of what makes people ‘think’ tyres are slow, is the difference in feel of rotational inertia when accelerating. While the actual/absolute effect of this is negligible, (you spend very little time during a normal ride accelerating from slow speeds compared to now much time you spend riding at a steady state) it is something that people can feel when riding, so the brain is tricked in to thinking the tyres are always slow, even if the difference in rolling resistance is very minimal.

RustySpanner

But ze Germans have measured it all.
    🙂

I find the Greenguard fine for fitting and comfort, not too draggy if you keep them hard.

The Supreme folders are my favourites, lighter, bit more feel, much more give in the sidewalls.

Not cheap, but they last, better than Paselas so far.

scotroutes

I’ve toured on GreenGuards. They were fine and I wasn’t too much aware of any additional drag – but GP4Seasons are easily faster rolling in real life situations.

HansRey

I have the Marathon Plus Smartguard Performance Line. Slow rolling and IIRC, a little tricky to fit.

But, I’ve had 1 flat in nearly 4 years. I couldn’t find a hole in the tube, so it could have been the valve. If I had to get another set, I’d go for the greenguard which has a thinner protection strip.

Garry_Lager

I switched from the marathon range to GP4 seasons a while ago and wouldn’t go back – the GP4s have been v reliable and puncture proof.
    That’s 100% on urban roads, mind. If you’re on the cyclepaths and seeing thorns and other assorted shite then maybe the marathon is worth it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what bothers me about marathons (and i am a fan) is the ability kill the ride of any bike……

They make it feel like i has a hub gear and panniers fitted – even the most sprightly bike goes numb with them on.

If bontrager still make their hardcase tyres i suggest them as an alternative – main belt protection without having sidewalls made of and with the compliance of 8mm plywood.

I switched to gp4s as above a long time ago – and more recently moved to 40c nanos – which still have less percievable drag and more road feel than marathons…..

fudge9202
    Free Member

Are the marathon supremes as bad?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My CX cum everything but MTB bike had marathons fitted in 2010 in that time I’ve not had one puncture.

SaxonRider

It’s true that the Marathons are draggy, but having ridden on them for more than a year now over fields of glass without a single puncture, I am a complete convert.

For speed, I road bike. For commuting, I don’t worry about speed, and just go with reliable. And the Marathons exceed all expectations in this regard.

simmy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

They are going on the Hybrid which I use for commuting and long rides so, like I said, I want reliability.

I am never going to catch roadies with the panniers on with heavy D lock, lunch and another pannier full of Bikeability gear anyway.

In fact I had an old bloke on a reebok bso pass me the other day….. 😳

wilburt
    Free Member

I tried some Marathons on my winter road bike.

They were 25mm and about 600grams which didnt bother me too much but what did bother me was the non existent grip, really just terrifying on wet corners and also not that puncture proof others disagree so it my be size specific but it was almost like the tread catches flint etc and increases the likelyhood of a puncture.

benp1

I’m on 700x32c marathon pluses. They’ve been very reliable. They are heavy, but so is the rack, D lock and guards.

It’s my most used bike and I just get on it and ride it. Mainly on the road but do the odd track too, not great in the slop but when it’s dry or hard pack underneath it’s fine

RustySpanner

fudge9202 – Member
    Are the marathon supremes as bad?

No, they feel like a normal tyre.

The Greenguard and Plus have a nice thick rubbery layer built into the carcass.
    This, plus the huuge weight and ultra thick sidewalls makes them not much fun at times.

The Supremes have a thin, kevlar guard and much thinner sidewalls, so much that I don’t use them on rocky stuff too much, where I’d have no hesitation with the Greenguards.

matts
    Free Member

By way of comparison, 5 Watts is about the same as good aero show covers. 10W could be like wearing a jacket, or putting your head up/down.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I didn’t find them that draggy once you’re up to speed, although I wouldn’t to ride a century on them either.
    Harder to fit than most maybe but I’ve not had the epic struggle that some folk apparently have to get them on!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i don’t buy that graph. not in the real world marathon plus are very draggy. I had to change the gear on my fixed commuter to compensate.
    Marathon racers are very different tyre. and are on top of one another in that graph.

Not knocking the pluses they are very punture proof. and serve my glass strewn commute very well. but they have just about stopped me riding that bike for pleasure.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My old man uses them for the comfy ride and puncture resistance.

Try the Marathons? Lighter than the Marathon Plus and has good resistance to thorns.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Great – ultimate? commuting tire but for anything else vaguely performance related look elsewhere.
    biggest downside is lack of grip in the wet – they make gatorskins seem grippy! But what do u expect for a tire that can last 4-6000 miles. I’ve used them for 8 years of commuting – roads, urban, gravel, axle deep mud, beach sand and only 1 pinch puncture when I ran them a bit soft! Reflective sidewalls are a bonus. Old ones were tight to fit, new ones not so much.
    I be also tried gatorskins and gp4 seasons on the commute- gators were ok but had 2 punctures in a year and gp4 were great feel and speed but 2 punctures in a month with a alfine fitted wasn’t fun.
    When the current set expire I might go tubeless land cruiser or nanos.

simmy
    Free Member

Well I picked up a pair of Marathon pluses today and have just fitted them.

I followed that Spa Cycies video but used zip ties to secure the bottom of the rim and the rest of the tyre just slid in without using levers.

Not ridden yet so will have to see how they feel tommorow. They are a tiny bit taller than the Kendras they replaced as I’ve had to adjust my mudguards slightly as the front wheel wouldn’t go round….

Evans didn’t leave much space when fitting the mudguards. Should have fitted them myself but it was free fitting with a new bike so thought why should I. Wish I had now.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Marathon Plus – just how draggy / difficult to fit ?’ is closed to new replies.