Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mapping Software
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at buying a mapping package which may cover all platforms. The Anquet OMN pack looks good in that it can be planned on pc without internet connection, can be loaded to GPS and then synched to mobile phone if a signal is available. Maps are also shared on each platform and on device. I like the look of Tracklogs but it can only be used via PC or GPS-not mobiles. Memory Map seems too clunky. Likewise with Viewranger, great on Mobile(but clunky to plan routes on mobile devices) but not the best experience on PC and needs online access to plan routes. Anyone have any real-life experience of Anquet recently?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d be wary of compromising the performance of one aspect to gain another. I use Viewranger as it is the best mobile option IMO. As you say, the desktop version isn’t great but I can live with that as I mostly use it on my mobile. If I’m on my PC I have access to loads of online mapping options.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Only use Anquet on the PC so far – it is OK and the editing is a bit better than other options although not super-great (splitting/joining/inserting routes can be done but seems not the most intuitive), but it isn’t fast so needs a decent spec PC. I use a quad i7 laptop with 16Mb but it isn’t snappy.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Thing is, I like to plan routes when away sometimes and places like the Lakes etc. often have patchy mobile coverage, hence my do it all approach. Interesting about needing a decent PC for Anquet. Looks like it could be Tracklogs for PC, Viewranger for mobile.

Drac

Viewranger is my call.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve been using Anquet V1 (and occasionally V6 as I have some 1:25k mapping on that) for years on low power computers without an issue. I’ve just downloaded OMN to check, and it seems to work fine on my 1.6GHz dual core Turion (which is lower spec most current laptops).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

obviously some peoples definitions of fine are different from mine…

ok, I have a 1:25k page loaded in v6, centered on Dorking in Surrey and at 30% zoom and with only one database loaded, with one route if 379 waypoints.

I increase the zoom to 25% and it takes nearly 5 seconds to redraw the map panel, on a 1080p screen with the information panels taking the left 1/4 of the screen.

If I move left with the cursor so it has to draw a section of tiles down the side of the screen and this takes about a second.

So it is a little sloth like for certain manipulations. It certainly should be faster than that.

My machine has a windows gaming graphics score of 7, before anyone asks.

aracer
    Free Member

The question has to be whether any other package is actually faster and whether you have unrealistic expectations – I have some mapping in current version of Memory Map and the performance is pretty similar. Also the issue you have there is data bandwidth from your disc – the gaming graphics makes no difference as it’s not doing 3D stuff. Your recommendation for a high end PC is also spurious, given that the performance on mine is pretty similar (with a gaming graphics score of 4.7 – not that that’s relevant, the desktop graphics rating of 3.4 slightly more so, disc transfer of 5.7 and memory 5.5 far more so).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Also the issue you have there is data bandwidth from your disc

rubbish – I have an area shown on screen – if performance is a problem then it would be quite simple to cache the next screens that I am likely to go to, to use graphics instruction to shift image blocks around quickly, etc. I have 16gb memory and 4 actual cores.

Watch how fast google earth redraws for example.

Go into Bing Maps, select OS maps and zoom in and out and move the page around and watch how fast that redraws.

Anquet has always been slow – they could do with investing in some decent programmers methinks…

Grim
    Free Member

I use Anquet on my PC, iPhone and android tablet. It is a bit slow on the PC as it is very memory hungry, I can live with that. What I do like is that you can use the maps you buy on all the platforms and the route recording on both the phone and tablet works very well.

aracer
    Free Member

Go into Bing Maps, select OS maps and zoom in and out and move the page around and watch how fast that redraws.

Yep – fairly similar performance to Anquet on my computer. Personally I’ve tried writing software to display the maps I’ve downloaded, and wish I knew how Anquet got the performance they do have.

scotroutes

I’ve used Anquet for years (V1 and V6) and I never thought it was very slow. Mind you, I never use it at 25% or 30% either. 😆

Edit: just tried Bing. Now that is slow!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yep – fairly similar performance to Anquet on my computer

not on my machine – bing moves around about 5 times faster…

tuffty
    Free Member

Anquet here too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mapping Software’ is closed to new replies.