Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Map geeks, help please
  • Houns

I’m just doing some research on an archeological feature that we’ve found. Looking at some old OS maps, the area is split up in to land parcels, it’s these I’m looking for more information on. The land parcels are numbered, where could I find further information about a particular parcel number?

Here’s the key from the map I’m looking at for guidance

Thanks!

DickBarton

Council planning department?

Esme
    Free Member

Is there a local museum? Someone like an Archives Officer or Heritage Manager might be able to point you in the right direction.

Or your county council might employ an archaeologist (directly or as a consultant).

martinhutch

What information are you looking to get? Local library/authority may have a copy of any valuation survey which used field parcel numbers as a reference.

Houns

Hmm, I can see that being a ball ache as on border of two counties and that border has changed back and forth over the years

martinhutch

Used this yet?

http://labs.nationalarchives.gov.uk/maps/valuation.html

Looks like you have to trek to Kew if you go through this channel, but it will give you the title of a document which may aid tracking it down locally.

Houns

I’m just looking for who owned it and what was its main use. We’ve discovered walls and I’d like to find out what these walls were used for, whether just denoting parcel boundaries, keeping stock, or if they were actually roads/paths

Esme
    Free Member

Staffordshire? Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society might be interested in helping.

Houns

Thanks. Think this may have to go up the ladder to those who work for the NT to look in to, not just me as a volunteer

bigjim

I’m not sure you’ll find much info relating to old parcel numbers. If you’ve found the walls in the context of a development I’d imagine you’ll have to follow planning rules/hire archaeological consultancy etc? They will do investigations accordingly.

Land ownership is difficult but there’s things like local knowledge, land terriers, if it’s public land there’s probably more chance you’ll be able to find the owner easily, there’s currently a big push on registering public land.

There’s the historic England/Scotland online maps too to see if it’s something scheduled, which is unlikely if it’s just old walls.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Map geeks, help please’ is closed to new replies.