Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Many problems with my new macbook, anyone help?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

o also if anyone can recommend doing anything else just as general maintenance and things i should do to set up the mac then let me know

and mboy yeah i looked for that when i got the mac as was usig it on my dell and it is great, was also wanting something similar to tune up utilities for mac but not sure if its necessary?

mboy
    Free Member

MBOY
    thankyou for taking the time to write that for me, i shall stick with it, i dont plan on selling up, however i am very temped by all these ultrabooks coming out! one question woudl be can you point me in the direction of a tutorial to set up time machine as i havent bothered to do that yet.

No problems.

The Ultrabooks are just a take on the MacBook Air, which is neater and now its running i5 and i7 processors, a lot faster than it used to be. Very worthwhile machine in its own right, and trust me on this (I’ve had all the latest ultrabooks side by side with the Air), it’s a whole lot better built than any of the others as well as having a better OS. The Asus UX31 thing is quite nice looking and pretty fast, although hampered by Windows 7 of course, but then you look at the Toshiba and it feels like its made of cardboard it’s so flimsy!

As for Time Machine, it’s the easiest thing in the world to setup. Buy an external hard drive, plug it in, and your machine will automatically ask you if you want to set the drive up as the Time Machine drive. Then click yes obviously, and it does it all for you! From then on, whenever the drive is connected to your machine, it will automatically back up all your data…

-i installed two updates that were available however i think this was just updating lion to 10.7.3 and restarted it properly which i dont often do.

Yeah, some people espouse about Macs never needing to be restarted as they work so well from sleep all the time. Well, they work better than a Windows machine does from sleep, but I learnt the hard way myself too. Basically, whenever practical, shut your machine down rather than just sleep it. It will thank you for it I can promise you, and will run lots better. And install any updates ASAP.

o also if anyone can recommend doing anything else just as general maintenance and things i should do to set up the mac then let me know

Just run CCleaner once in a while, it’s kinda an all in one package that previously you would have had to do several jobs independently, so it saves time and effort. And also repair the disk permissions once in a while too, otherwise your machine will definitely start to suffer.

Oh, and if you’re using Photoshop much, definitely put more RAM in the machine… 8GB is about £35 these days, so really cheap!

Sandwich

Have you stored lots of stuff on the desktop? Finder sees each one of those as a window not an icon. This can slow things right down. Keep your desktop clear and things will speed up a bit.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Many problems with my new macbook, anyone help?’ is closed to new replies.