Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Manitou Swinger 4 way – experiences?
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Just wondering about experiences of the Manitou Swinger 4 way shock? I’m looking at a used frame with one and a friend was a bit negative about them but I wondered why.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Please?

XXX
    Free Member

air or coil?

kimbers

i had a swinger 3 way (coil) on my old stab and the spv valve worked pretty well the shock itself was fine not quite as nice as my dhx3 but still good

accu
    Free Member

I have a swinger 4way…since 2005..first it was on my freerider for 3 years …now its on my orange 5 ..with nukeproof ti spring..
    I´m really happy with it , works perfect and very reliable !!
    as far as I know..manitou had some problems with QC and tolerances..
    so there are good ones and really bad ones on the market…
    luckily I got a good one…
    if the frame is fine ..I would give it a go….

mildred

I’ve had a variety of 3 & 4 way coilovers, & a couple of air shocks now, and they’re a lot better than some people would have you believe.

My biggest gripe was that I found them ‘dead’ or ‘wooden’ feeling in all but the more ‘hairy’ situations. However, once speeds went up (alps descents, for example), the ‘dead’ & ‘wooden’ turned into smooth and well controlled. I had one on my 224 and it felt crap and overdamped most of the time but I seriously couldnt fault it doing days upon days of Morzine uplifts.

A mate of mine has had one on his original 224 from new (2005); guided & ridden every year in Morzine, done 3 Mega’s, never serviced it and never had a problem. His philosophy is ‘if it aint broke, why fix it?’

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks kimbers and accu – v. helpful.

xxx – coil!

gusamc
    Free Member

had one on an orange 5 since about 2005??, serviced once, never let me down, bit fiddly on red valve, can’t really compare it as only 1 other bike, I also ride an 09 Orange 5/RP23 and I don’t notice any huge difference (old, unskilled..)

eshershore
    Free Member

I had 3 different Swinger 4-way Coil on my 2005 Devinci Ollie

-the 1st one blew the seals, and was replaced under warranty, after 1 week of ownership just before going to Whistler

-the 2nd one unscrewed during my 1st day of riding in Whistler, oil everywhere and I managed to pogo-bounce my way down the popular A-Line trail

thankfully a Manitou service centre in the village replaced it FOC under warranty

-the 3rd one last the holiday, and many months after, and proved a very good shock both in terms of pedalling platform (Devinci Ollie was 8.5″ FSR suspension) and good quality of damping

as long as you get one with good Q.C., it a good shock

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks Mildred, Gusamc and Esher – I’m good now. Sounds like they’re OK as long as you don’t get a faulty one. Like most things in life 🙂 Cheers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Manitou Swinger 4 way – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.