Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Manitou Circus – any good for 4X riding?
  • jairaj

I’m building up a bike for me to use on bike park and 4x runs, mainly going to be used at Woburn and Chicksands as they are closest to me.

I was planning on using an old RS Sektor coil I have and getting it lowered but after chatting to TF tuned this is going to cost a bit more than I thought.

So now looking for other forks that would be suitable. I’ve seen a few bargains for 2nd had Manitou Circus forks. A quick search on the web reveals it’s a pretty good DJ fork.

Just wondering if it’ll be too stiffly sprung or overdamped for 4x riding*?

I think I’ll be fine as most the tracks at Woburn and Chicksands are well groomed and don’t have any rock gardens or rough sections like you see on the world cup courses.

(* please note I’m a total noob to this kind of riding so my pre-judgements may be totally unfounded. please correct me if im wrong).

Stevet1
    Free Member

I run one on a DJ bike, it’s air sprung with a coil in there as well to offer extra support so you can tune how heavily sprung it is but only to a point. Should be fine on 4x tracks though. Ability to lock it out completely if pretty useful down at the BMX track.

jairaj

Thanks for the info. Any other not so obvious forks I should look out for where I might pick up a bargain?

RS Argyles and Pike DJs appear to be a bit more expensive than the Circus, which I put down to popularity. While Fox 34 or 381 forks are way out of budget.

I’ve discounted forks like the RS Reba and Fox 32 chassis even with 15mm axles as I think they won’t be strong enough.

eshershore
    Free Member

Manitou’s recent forks are excellent. As soon as my RS s&7ts itself I’ll track down a manitou 29’er fork.

jairaj

Ah crap the fork I was eyeing up has been sold.

What about the Minutes would they be OK for my use? Seen a set going for an OK price.

I’m a big fan of Manitou forks I have a set of Mattocs and absolutely love them. Wouldn’t mind another set but don’t think they go as low as 100/120mm.

mechanised

Considered a marzocchi dj1?

nwill1
    Free Member

I run a 36 float lowered to 100mm. Might pick some up at a fair price if they’re older 26″!?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Old Rock Shox Pike Air U Turn? Or an old Reba?

emanuel
    Free Member

the abs+ damper is easily tuned with different shims to set your platform.
    search mtbr on a long thread with great info.

paule
    Free Member

Would you be interested in a set of 100mm travel argyle forks? I’ll be splitting up a bike with a set on it in the next week or two.

jairaj

Paule, yep possibly interested in Argyles too. Email in profile send me details. thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Manitou Circus – any good for 4X riding?’ is closed to new replies.