Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Mangled frame- what would you do? (140-150mm fravel bike content…)
  • johnny

I’ll spare y’all the details, but a few weeks ago, i managed to terminally damage my frame, a 2007 Yeti 575. this involved breaking the dogbone and drivign the shock into the back of the downtube, creating some interesting new geometry. I’ve chased Yeti for warranty, but they have said no. which i can understand.

Anyway, what to replace it and how? I have a decent AM wheelset with Pro2 hubs, so can be converted to most thru-axle specs, and 150mm adjustable fork etc, so could do a frame only build. I’ve trawled around the net/bikeshops and shortlisted:

Trek Remedy
    SC Butcher
    Transition Covert
    Commencal Meta AM
    Intense Tracer.

Or, I could throw caution to the wind and go for a whole new bike, as i sat on a Cannondale Jekyll last weekend, and it made me feel like a riding god (which is of course what i’m paying for…) However, the whole bike idea opens up a whole world of possiblities!? How about a 160mm platform? or a 120mm 29er!? (kind of fancy that new Rumblefish..)

I should add i have a Cotic Soul for most duties, this is for days/weeks away on bigger country that the South East has to offer!

All thoughts appreciated… ta!

wwaswas

is a new front triangle & dogbone available?

johnny

grr- creppy work wireless…

I return- yes, i probably could find a front triangle/full frame of this vintage on ebay/here/yetifan, but i’m more into a new frame, for a change as much as anything else. It’s been a great bike, and has done the alps, loads of trail centres, multi-day in scotland, etc. This is what i’d look for in a new bike, but i have found in the last couple of years i’ve been more willing to go a bit “bigger” in my commitment to stuff, so i’d kind of like something a bit stiffer than bikes of that era… And i’m worth it… 😉

Speshpaul

Mega ?

johnny

lovely, but aren’t the megas 160? The forks are rev 120-150 u-turn, so i’m seeing any frame replacement (in my own mind at least) as being 150mm max travel. (?)

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think this is what you call a quality problem, which to choose.

It’s a nice list already, personally I’d want to look at cost/benefit between the Covert and Tracer – I’ve seen those frames at LBS and the Intense in particular has the “drool factor”. Possibly add the new SB66 to the options.

RustyMac

Out of the bikes you have mentioned my personal choice would be out of the top 3 and i’d also chuck a 5 Spot into the mix (mainly as i have a Iron Horse Mk3 just now and like the DW link).

I have had a shot on a remedy and it was a lovely bike to ride thouigh the shock was a bit of a fiddle to set up initally.

Love the look of the butcher and the covert so would want to try them before discounting them. reliability and build quality would rule the Commencal and the Intense out for me.

HansRey

i tried a remedy for one day in the lakes. If i ever sell my quake the remedy would be my first choice.

The basic remedy 7 is quite good value as a full bike. Split and sell what you dont need or want.

jsm

5 spot?

Speshpaul

“How about a 160mm platform?”
    you wanted suggestions “there’s no pleasing some people:-)”

The whole 29er thing is distracting as well, i keep looking but they just seem wrong, almost as if i “shouldn’t” like them.

messiah
    Free Member

I like the look of the Devinci Dixon… but I’m a Nicolai fanboi so it would be wrong of me not to suggest a Helius AC (or AM).

al2000

Commencal Meta AM looks pretty lush.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

5 Spot

gravity-slave
    Free Member

but aren’t the megas 160?

Mega is 150mm. From the site:

Offering 150mm rear travel and designed to match with 150-170mm forks up front the Mega is a versatile frame that combines plush descending prowess with pedalling efficiency.

Recommended Fork length – 160-180mm travel with Internal bottom cup 44IIss, 150-170mm with External bottom cup 44IETS, 44IESS or 44EE0S

You should be fine with 150mm forks ans an external lower cup to get the geometry as intended. You’ve always got the option of swapping to a 160mm fork later. The downside is the frame is possible slightly heavier than needed for a 150mm fork.

johnny

oooh i’d forgotten about the Turner or the Nicolai… and i’ve just looked over that devinci… 😕

It should be said this is not really a problem, more of a luxury, having the chance to ponder about a new bike which should hopefully become real! I’m hoping to demo some of thse in the lakes this weekend, so it should help a bit.

Good to know about the cups on the Megas, that might well help, especially when it comes to the financial part.

Out of interest, what were the reliability issues with the Intense? and the commmies have supposedly addressed the issues from their older frames, or is that just marketing cr@p?

si-wilson
    Free Member

We are having a frame clearout pretty soon, some really good offers. The Chumba EVO G2 for £899 and the VF2 for £699. Limited sizes and colours available though.

Chumba EVO G2 by srbwilson, on Flickr

Chumba_VF2 by srbwilson, on Flickr

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo HD?

honourablegeorge

There’s a Devinci Wilson frame on offer on the 18bikes website – lovely lookign frame, 145 travel, everythign I’ve read suggests it’s a fantastic frame. It’d be on my list, definitely.

RustyMac

It may just be my perception of the brand but i have heard of a number of people with issues of poor frame alignment. There was someone with a problem with one of the main pivot bearings not sitting in it’s housing properly as the hosing was oversize and must have been like that since manufacture. All things that would be covered by warantee if found in time but not things i’d like to have to chase up on a new frame.
    Commencal issues are well documented and again it may be my perception but i wouldn’t like to get one yet.

ajr
    Free Member

Ventana El Ciclon.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ll spare y’all the details

awww, spoilsport. JRA? or 12′ landing to flat?

GlennG
    Free Member

Devinci Dixon owner here and love it, 142mm rear spacing so think you can convert the Hope hub? Saying that do like the look of that Chumba Evo though.

Dixon builds into a nice 28lbish all rounder with a set of Fox 36’s got mine set at 150mm and its a sweet handling bike.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

How about a stumpjumper evo?

sambob
    Free Member

New Cotic Rocket. Arrived at Cotic today, but they’re all sold out. Demo days in the Peak District on 14th April, 12th May and 9th of June. Think April may be full though.

johnny

I’m back!

Those chumbas look nice, got a demo? The EVO G2 is both shiny and ticks the boxes… I also fancied a Mojo, forgot that one…

Re the stumpy- rode one a while ago, and maybe it was the stock spec, but it didn’t make me feel suitably godlike-to-the-rad-core-gnarly. Or something.

As far as the details, I’d love to say it was after a fakie reverse tail whip over a 15 foot gap of snakes and lava, but no, JRA. Those who know Brechfa, there’s a little wooden humpback bridge about half way along, suitable for the average shopper bike: did a conservative little pump as I rolled on to it and the next thing, a big bang, and I’m sliding down the other side of it, on my knees, rear wheel brushing my back, still managed to “steer” myself away from the railings and into some soft, if rather many leaves. RAD!

philpott
    Free Member

I’ve got a Jekyll and really enjoy it, it seems to plough through anything and is extremely confidence inspiring. You can get some decent prices on the 2011 bikes which are unchanged this year. They are also pretty versatile as a lot of cannondales sponsored riders ride them with 160/170 forks. But the front end seems pretty stiff with a 150 32 fork, although I wouldn’t mind a 36 for the summer in the alps.

AndreyE
    Free Member

5 Spot for bigger stuff. I’d say Pivot Mach 5.7 as well but this is more of a trailbike than AM.

johnny

See, I very much like the idea of a frame which will take longer forks for alpine jaunts- I stuck some Lyrik 2-steps on the Yeti for vernier, which was great, but rendered it fairly useless for day to day stuff. The Jekyll is very tempting as I could take it for trips away, where one day it’s all about trail silliness, and the next big xc epic. The only thing is, it’s a whole bike or nowt. Also, having the choice of one shock or nothing is a bit limiting…?

lee93
    Free Member

What about a titus el Gupao?? Lush ibis mojo hd????. That’s bigger end travel bikes 150-160+

philpott
    Free Member

Yeah, it is limiting, but the shock is pretty nice, a little stiffer than I’d like in 90mm mode but 150mm is very nice.

chakaping
    Free Member

Giant reign worth a look. got one after my old 575 anf it wss better at everything.

It has got much brtter geo since then too

gingerninja69
    Free Member

hi i was wondering what the back end is like? just im in need of one as snapped mine. a mate has bought it off me now but i know he would like to get it built up. give me a shout if you are interested in selling it. domincworrall”at”hotmail.com
    cheers

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Spicy 916? 12.2Kg :-S

tamedearth
    Free Member

@johnny – where are you based? we have a Transition Covert demo available (surrey/west sussex/hants). PM me if you’re interested. Ant

gingerninja69
    Free Member

dude are you interested in selling the rear end? got cash waiting if you are but off to spain next week so give me a shout asap.

johnny

@gingerninja69 YGM re selling rear end.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d be very tempted by a Cotic Rocket, riding one next Saturday 😀

kiwijohn

S
    B

You know it makes sense.

emmodd
    Free Member

Seconded.

I’m in Sheffield if you’re local and wanted a try?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Mangled frame- what would you do? (140-150mm fravel bike content…)’ is closed to new replies.