Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • mangled bottom bracket, how to get this out of frame?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Picked up a nice Reynolds 531c 80’s road frame down our local tip, thinking this will be good to strip/powder coat etc, until I looked closer at the square taper bottom bracket (which does turn okay but want out as it’s too long and to prep for painting), pretty mangled and no obvious way of getting a remover tool in, looks like chewed up plastic in the outer cup area. The rest of the frame and forks are really good under the crap paintwork. Worth trying to get out or too much hassle? Can see why it was dumped now. url=https://flic.kr/p/pwHRLW][/url]

bencooper
    Free Member

I get them out with a hole saw.

bruneep

What if he’s only got half a saw? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

burn it out. burn it with fire!

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

That looks fun! It looks like both the plastic cup and the metal cup are mangled? If so I would destroy the plastic cup with a series of small drill holes. Once the plastic cup is out you can get the cartridge out. Then you just carefully cut the metal cup into 4 pieces using a hacksaw. You might need to get the threads chased afterwards. £10 from LBS.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve taken them out with fire before.

And drifted a metal cups out with a punch.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

What the others said, start with the plastic cup using heat fire or drill bit then once the cartridge is out use a hacksaw to cut the metal cup apart carefully. Since the frame is being painted anyway it might be worth having the threads chased and bb faced after painting.

Lummox

There’s a chap doing seatposts in the sites ‘news’ section, sure it mentions bb’s too.

Depends how much you value the frame

redstripe
    Free Member

Success, it’s out….15mins with my plumbers blow-torch and an old spoke, both cup sides were plastic and melted away, thanks for tips

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

What an excellent alternative to church on a Sunday morning. Feel happy thread.

redstripe
    Free Member

science not superstition works for me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘mangled bottom bracket, how to get this out of frame?’ is closed to new replies.