Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Manchester locals: Sale or Altrincham?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m going to buy a house. Yay!
    I want a 2 bed, with outside storage for bikes (or cellar)and my budget gives me some really nice examples of this kind of place (Victorian terrace)
    Now, overall, Altrincham I think is a nicer area than Sale and easier to get straight out into country lanes on the road bike.
    But – and this is a big but. Alty is quite mixed in its development – anywhere there’s houses in my budget is an old narrow street with either parking issues (the area round Navigation Road – not great for loading/unloading after being out on the mtb) or got some kind of light industrial right next door.
    Sale on the other hand seems to have the same kind of houses but in normal 2up 2 down residential streets. None of the mixed development and what look like nicer streets.
    I don’t need local bars – I have Manchester for that.
    I’m mid/late 30’s no kids so so long as crime is low, no need for schools etc
    So why not Sale? tbh to get the size house I want in Alty I’m going to have to accept a street I’m not too happy with…

binners

Its a no brainer. Alty has snotty Cheshire-set aspirations (hence the prices) despite the fact that unless you live in Hale or one of the other v v posh ends (I take it you don’t have a spare half million?), its a pretty average place. And the town centre is a chav infested ****-hole.

You’re way better off in Sale. Much nicer. More for your money, and…. this is the clincher… you can ride out of your front door and join us for our regular Jacko’s Boat/Kebab night rides.

Frankly it doesn’t get much better than that 😀

higgo
    Free Member

of the two, Sale.

shadthebad
    Free Member

Intriguing dilemma.

A big sway for me is the postcode. Sale has an M postcode and Alty is WA, which has a massive effect on insurance premiums, car/home/bike.

Navigation houses are nice, but as you’ve pointed out, the parking is a mare. If you want to park in that area during a weekday, you have to get a permit from the council, which is a nice little earner for them.

Maybe you should ask yourself is does it really have to be a Victorian terrace? If not, then you can probably bag a 3 bed semi in Alty with its own driveway for similar money.

mrmojo
    Free Member

Personally I would go for Timperly. I would also give Lymm some consideration.

Bunnyhop

Altrincham is one of those desirable places to live, near shops, good postcode (mentioned above), but at night the place turns into a hellhole.

Sale has just as good housing stock, but that one way system does my head in.

samuri
    Free Member

Personally I would go for Timperly.
    This one, or Carrington.

edhornby

I’d go with sale also, decent area and most importantly, more chance of getting the house type you want

you can get out into the lanes by heading out the back to partington and on towards lymm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Manchester locals: Sale or Altrincham?’ is closed to new replies.