Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Manchester entertainment recommendations
  • prahran
    Free Member

I’m taking the wife to Manchester this weekend to the MEN. We’re staying at the Lowry Hotel. Can anyone recommend me a nice restaurant, nice bar etc for pre & post food and drink plus anything else that might be worth a look at.
    Thanks

dooosuk
    Free Member

More info please.

What do you class as a nice restaurant? Price range would be useful…

and what kind of taste in bars do you have?

binners

Head for the northern quarter. Trof and Odd and Cord are great bars.

THIS…

is the best place to eat in Manchester. I’d get it booked now though.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

We normally end up here SIMPLE for lunch.

prahran
    Free Member

Restaurant could be indian, italian, mexican maybe? £50 pp
    Bars would ideally be somewhere that plays some decent house music but none of that horrible radio 1 dance/rap garbage. That make me angry

highclimber
    Free Member

just minutes from the Lowry there is a bar called Zinc on the triangle opposite the Printworks.

The food is very nice and the staff are really polite and efficent. from there you can head to the Northern qtr for cocktails and music.

Duggan

Hard to say without a price range but being as you’re staying at the lowry I’ll assume you don’t mind paying a bit extra.

Stocks is nice Italian food
    Rio Ferdinand’s new one at the top of King Street is supposed to be good (Rosso I think it’s called)
    Lots of people say that San Carlo’s is good though I think it’s overpriced rubbish.

I’m sure someone will come along with better (non-Italian) reccomendations soon.

Generally if you want to go to to some bars it’s best to head to the Northern Quarter though it does get very busy now. Lammar’s, Socio-Rehab, Cord, Common and Centro are all decent but there’s plenty more nearby. Corridor bar down the road nearer Salford is supposed to be nice too but I’ve not been.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Mmmm, wasn’t that impressed with the Market Restaurant when I went a month or so ago Binners. When was the last time you went? First and only time I’ve been though.

Restaurants I’ve been more impressed with are:

Opus One

Choice

The Grill on the Alley

Stock

Room

Edit…the above all fit in with the budget.

Agree with Duggan re San Carlo…food’s ok and it is reasonably priced but certainly nothing special and I can’t see why celebrities are fascinated by it.

For Indian food in town look at either:

Akbars

or

East Z East

highclimber
    Free Member

Grill on the alley do amazing food though its rather pricey and wasn’t convinced it was worth it considering the mediocre service we received

binners

Not been for a while dooosuk. Its always been pretty dependable

Stock is pretty damn good. The food is also great in Mr Thomas’s Chophouse. And its a lovely building (as is Stock)

Rafa’s El Rincon does the best tapas in the universe. FACT. Again you’d have to book. Dimitri’s is good for Tapas too

dooosuk
    Free Member

As there seem to be a few Stock lovers on here…

£39 for two courses and cocktail for two people

crikey
    Free Member

http://www.cafeistanbul.co.uk/

Is nice for lunch or for an evening meal.

highclimber
    Free Member

ooooo I love el Rincon. I’d agree that it does the best Tapas in manchester. dimitris food is good though again the service was poor and I was astonished the waiter had the front to come up to us and ask WHY we hadn’t tipped him!

dooosuk
    Free Member

and I was astonished the waiter had the front to come up to us and ask WHY we hadn’t tipped him

Was there a reason? If you’d had bad service then I think it’s a good thing he/she was trying to improve what he/she delivers.

If it was down to you being tight then I can see your embarassment 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Browns. Beautiful bar and great food.

hp_source

As mentioned above, East Z East is a cracking Indian, and is on the way from the Lowry to the MEN.

Pre-show drinks on deansgate (label, living room, etc) then off to the Northern Quarter afterwards.

prahran
    Free Member

dooosk -the wife really wanted to stay at the Raddison! I can’t take her to Opus One

highclimber
    Free Member

Was there a reason? If you’d had bad service then I think it’s a good thing he/she was trying to improve what he/she delivers.

If it was down to you being tight then I can see your embarassment

I resent the implication I was being tight as I was a waiter once and I always tip where A tip is due. the reson I was astonished was because we made it clear to him during the meal that we weren’t happy about the service.

Duggan

Derek- is Brown’s the one that used to be Athanaeum at the top of King Street? Not been yet but wouldn’t mind having a gander.

Athanaeum was an awful place, totally wasted in that lovely building.

Spent loads of time in there drinking after work mind.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Derek- is Brown’s the one that used to be Athanaeum at the top of King Street?

To butt in …Yes it is. I haven’t been either yet but it’s on my list soon.

prahran
    Free Member

I love indian. Been to Akbars in Bradford so I’ll try and persuade my wife to try east z east
    🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

Athenaeum was truely obismal but the sucessor looks rather nice. might have to take a detour for a pint soon.

prahran
    Free Member

Browns on king street looks nice. How far away is it from east z east?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Panama Hatty’s does great food and is very close to Browns. Eat in Panama / drink in Browns.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Browns to East Z East (Riverside…the one you want) is a 5 minute walk.

highclimber
    Free Member

most of the venues so far on here are within walking distance of each other.

you should check out manchesterconfidential.co.uk

dooosuk
    Free Member

From what you’ve said so far I doubt you’ll end up eating here but this place was also pretty good on the couple of times I’ve been:

Albert’s Shed

Castlefield is a great spot too…doesn’t feel like you’re in the inner city.

Duggan

I like Albert’s Shed, there is one round the corner from me in Didsbury now too which is pretty nice though the service never seems as good as the one in town.

loddrik
    Free Member

The M602

prahran
    Free Member

The wife has spoken. She’d like Italian for tea

portlyone

Port Street Bar om TNQ for drinks, great selection of beers

fubar
    Free Member

Panama Hatty’s does great food

Panama Hatty’s did very good food but I don’t think it’s as good as it was. Still decent not great IMO.

dooosuk
    Free Member

OP – did you enjoy your weekend then…where did you end up?

Flaperon

I ate in the Grill on the Alley last week – absolutely bleedin’ fantastic. Perfect food, perfect service, and reasonable prices. Couldn’t justify plumping for the £55 steak though!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Manchester entertainment recommendations’ is closed to new replies.