Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mancave lighting?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Finally going to get some power out to the Shed, so I’ll be needing some decent light too. Plan is to build a 1.8m workbench and have some kind of striplight above that (It’s a pent roof 12’x8′ shed) meaning good light where I need it most, and enough usable light for the rest of the shed.

Any recommendations?

Something like this maybe?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

[/url]

T1000
    Free Member
    footflaps
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If it’s a true mancave, you need to go hardcore.

Try this.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzSoabcQYMg[/video]

rene59
    Free Member

Anyone who calls their shed a mancave should have one of these lights. 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I reckon a couple of those look ideal footflaps, cheers.

JoeG
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I can’t really see the point of LED’s that replicate a standard Fluoro tube as they’re still struggling to get to the same level of efficiency. T5 battens can deliver over 100 lumens per watt – better than any LEDs outside the lab at the moment – and with better colour temperature and rendering and the high frequency lamps are instant start (none of that old flickering and buzzing).

These were the best quality enclosures I could find looking at the weekend (haven’t arrived yet). Good quality tubes for them are about £2.50.

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php?xProd=392778613

curvature
    Free Member

I disagree with Simons above.

Just changed from 2 x 6ft T5 units to 4 x 4ft Philips T5 LED units. I have a far better spread of light and I’m now using 100w instead of 140w.

The colour is cooler but overall in my garage feel it is an improvement over what I had plus the LED’s should now last 10,000 hours.

Is it worth to from a money payback pint of view? I don’t know but all of my house lighting is now LED and my electricity bill is almost static across the year.

Edit – just looked at the screw fix link. Go to a proper electrical merchant for a better deal!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The LEDs linked to by the OP are claiming 94 lumen per watt. Sylvana t5 tubes are 104. Not much in it but I’d trust the T5 outputs more. I suppose the LEDs are more directional and there might be more losses in the fitting.

They’re getting better but you still seem to have to pay a chunk more for high quality LED and cheap can be nasty

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mancave lighting?’ is closed to new replies.