Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Man up or re shedule? Afan this weekend.
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Got a weekend planned in Afan, been looking forward to it but the weather is beating us a bit, I rang the trail centre and there is a lot of snow up there, apparently no one has been riding there for a few days, the roads are farly clear in the area but I hear snow ploughs were on the M4 near Swindon today. Some of us as going by train and some by road…

So should we man up and go, or re shedule it?

smiffy

Man up.

I’m Riding (Abergavennny)

forge197
    Free Member

We’ve rescheduled for the 15th Feb so will review it next week if it’s worse or better, it’s not great travelling around while it’s like this takes the edge of it.

Seems there were/are few planned trips there this weekend.

tinsy
    Free Member

Were all older blokes with responsibilities (YEAH RIGHT) It takes us a flippin age to get a date we can all go… this is a severe blow…

forge197
    Free Member

tinsy – then still go and MTFU or MTFU and say you are going next week and not this either way MTFU 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Ha ha, you tell her… 😈

forge197
    Free Member

ok 😀

xc-steve
    Free Member

It depends what’s stopping you if its travelling there then I’d say leave it as Bikes + Trains + Snow/bad weather = Nightmare

However if its the trail conditions which are stopping you then MTFU!

Drac

Go, at the worst spend the weekend in the pub.

nickc

XC steve has it. If the roads are shite, then it’s daft. If it’s the trail conditions than just go, have a laugh

uplink
    Free Member

We were due to go to Afan this weekend too, we’ve abandoned & done what Drac suggested – pub in the Lakes for the weekend

Postponing to next weekend will clash with St.Interfloras day so not an option for me if I want her to smile nicely when I tootle off to Colorado later in the year

tinsy
    Free Member

Its a bit of both, most of us are quite experienced, but one guy is a first time offroader… Funnily enough he is still very keen.

smiffy

I’m looking down on the A465 Heads of the Valleys Road which is absolutely fine. Nothing to stop you getting there by car.

glenp
    Free Member

If no-one has been riding there then take a reality pill – there are some double-hard locals down that way, and if they aren’t riding there is a good reason.

Absolutely no way for an mtb novice. Get real.

If you do go you are going to need a big bag with plenty of spare clothes. Don’t go out under-prepared and then expect someone to bail you out if it goes wrong.

Why not go down the trail a mile or two on foot with walking boots on – if that seems ok then go back and get the bikes etc. At least start out with eyes open.

forge197
    Free Member

wise words glenp

soma_rich
    Free Member

Just spoke to the visitors center and they have only seen 1 mountain biker today. But everything is open.

I think we ar still going:
    DrP
    Wrigles
    WCA
    and me 🙂

Drac

there are some double-hard locals down that way, and if they aren’t riding there is a good reason.

Yes. They can ride it any time.

nickc

there are some double-hard locals down that way, and if they aren’t riding there is a good reason.

Meanwhile, back in the real world…It’s a couple of inches of snow on some fairly manicured trails. It’ll be fine.

MrNutt
    Free Member

If no-one has been riding there then take a reality pill – there are some double-hard locals down that way, and if they aren’t riding there is a good reason.

that line has got me doubting my Saturday ride at afan plan now, I was all for the MTFU pill but if no ones ridden it over the past few days and its covered in snow I doubt I’d be able to follow the trail! hey!! FFFFREEEEZERIDE!

glenp
    Free Member

OK, maybe I was harsh. But don’t just take gear for unbroken riding, certainly. Something like a broken rear mech (not at all unusual) can have you pushing a long way. If you aren’t prepared to tackle it on foot, you aren’t prepared.

I certainly would not take a novice.

MrNutt
    Free Member

thanks, as if my nomadpack needed to be any heavier! now you’ve got me thinking of brining along my spares bin!! surely a tool, cable ties and a few powerlinks would be enough? where can I get some emergency flares? I don’t fancy driving home in my baggies!

tinsy
    Free Member

We have all the kit, the novice is a novice on a bike, but rides a big comute to work (1.5 hours) in all weathers, we have the right kit, and wouldnt be seen dead up a mountain without it.. (see what I did there?)

We are torn… I was hoping someone had been there today or yesterday and could say its in really good condition..

hora
    Free Member

Depends if you enjoy riding or like the endurance/surviving aspect. I personally like to ride. People who ride in all weathers- dont you have any other hobbies?!!!!

Drac

If you aren’t prepared to tackle it on foot, you aren’t prepared.

I certainly would not take a novice.

Novices can’t walk then?

richc
    Free Member

weather is supposed to brighten up, and the biggest risk will be actually getting to the trail center as long as the roads are gritted you should be fine (I know some parts of England have run or are running out of grit, but I haven’t heard anything about Wales suffering in the same way).

I’ve ridden them in deep snow before and the sheet ice on the fireroads was the only really dodgy bit.

kernowfornia

Give the DropOff Cafe @ Glyncorrwg a ring + ask for Ian (as featured in this months Dirt Mag, apparently) – he’ll give you a lowdown on the trails (assumning he isn’t stuck in Bath).

forkhandles
    Free Member

Glen P. They’re going to Afan not Afghanistan. Yes it might be a bit parky but it is the winter. You can always come a cropper whilst out on the bike, but Afan is a trail centre and so set up for less extreme survival tactics. If the OP is worried about the first timer then just go a bit slower. Everything is rideable there at the right speed. If there’s anything the FT doesn’t fancy then they can push/carry for a few metres.

glenp
    Free Member

“Novices can’t walk then?”

My suggestion was that they go and have a look-see on foot. Walking in cycling shoes pushing a bike and under-dressed is quite a bit more difficult than that is all I’m saying.

I’m not saying don’t bother having an adventure – but I think it is possible to underestimate the degree to which a “manicured” trail can become a lot more of a challenge when you chuck in some bad weather and some bad luck.

tinsy
    Free Member

Have taken all your points on board…

I think the plan is to go, whats the worse that can happen?

I give donations to the air ambulance.

richc
    Free Member

are you definately committed to Afan btw? as Brefcha is a million miles better.

Drac

A mountain biker risking his life a few years ago.

And road conditions that stop southerners going to work never mind to play.

tinsy
    Free Member

What you on about drac, I had to dig the train out using only my daily paper to get to work on Monday….

3 out of 6 of us are going to give it a go, were taking the train there, another 2 are waiting on road conditions as theyre driving down.

One is unfortunately already a casualty of circumstance,,,, like his job has just gone.

Rich c yes we have the train and accomodation booked.

Soma where you staying?

grumm
    Free Member

Go but don’t expect it to be amazing as a purely bike-riding experience. I’m sure it will be fun though.

tinsy
    Free Member

Nah, we all like lots of beer too… we will have a laugh.

Drac

What you on about drac, I had to dig the train out using only my daily paper to get to work on Monday….

Paper what’s that?

tinsy
    Free Member

What is paper? er the Chinese invented it I think…

tinsy
    Free Member

Here you go..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper

Or did you mean what paper do I read? 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

As long as you can get there, the only thing I’d worry about is a thaw leaving the trails all minging and muddy. Riding in snow is great, and somewhere like that, at a weekend, you’ll easily be able to see where the trail goes (our local and somewhat less well ridden trails were ace today – at several points I wasn’t sure if I was on or off the trail).

Joe

orangeboy
    Free Member

werein the south and still made it to work you cheeky ****** , nice pics btw

Drac

werein the south and still made it to work you cheeky ****** , nice pics btw

Hehehe! Thanks there from a few years back though not had a fall as good as that since around here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Man up or re shedule? Afan this weekend.’ is closed to new replies.