Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Man maths and depreciation..
  • cokie

Right,

I really fancy a new bike. I’ve narrowed it down to a 120mm front (& 120/110mm rear) FS 29er. In my hunt I’ve found a brand new 2015 Orange Segment S for £1899 from an LBS.

Now, I’ve got the cash but I know that in a year I’ll need around £1200 back for something.

I’ve got a spare set of ProII on Flows which will go on and some Carbon bars. Do we think that if I keep it in good condition/working order I’ll be able to recoup £1200 from this in a years time? I don’t mind losing £600ish from a years use. Obviously consumables will be replaced as and when.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how longs a bit of string.

you bin it on ride #1 and put a big dent in the top tube……. then no.

keep it in your living room lovingly polished – maybe.

someone invents a new suddenly much better wheelsize and obsoletes the 29er…. then no….

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am not a financial advisor, but if you know you need £1,200 in 12 months, then investing the money in a bicycle now does not seem to be especially prudent.

cokie

I should add- the money needed in 12 months isn’t for a necessity but rather for something else fun.

dknwhy

cokie – Member
    I should add- the money needed in 12 months isn’t for a necessity but rather for something else fun.

Boob job?

cokie

Hookers and coke actually, but shhh….

nickdavies

The usual STW rule is RRP – 50% as soon as you buy it and then 10% off per year isn’t it?

So £2500 -50% = £1250 – 10% = £1175.

Should be reet as Orange tends to hold value pretty well and 29 shouldn’t be obsolete for a couple of years yet….

Hookers and coke very similar to mountain bikes, a bottomless pit of money and bad investments (unless of course you own the hookers and are dealing coke) but lots of fun 😆

cokie

Orange Fives hold their value very well. There’s some 26” versions selling for £1500. Admittedly they have a better spec.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Do you basically need a big “IT’LL BE FINE”? 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

iolo
    Free Member

Spend £699 on a bike now. I’m sure you can do the rest of the maths yourself.

Edit Here you go

cokie

Exactly! This is a N+1 man maths scenario.
    I was only expecting positive feedback with no real justification.
    I’m disappointed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Man maths and depreciation..’ is closed to new replies.