Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Man Bags
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

last time i showed a photo of my man-bag on a forum i got told off by the internet police… they should stay in your boxers/y-fronts chaps, trust me, its not worth having your home pc taken away for inspection

IGMC

convert

Freitag – hours of fun designing it online; then even longer explaining to aghast mates exactly how much you paid for a bit of old lorry tarpaulin, a seat belt and some inner tube.

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve a Howies one that’s enormous. Has decent reflective stripes on it too. It’s so big I can use for overnight trips. I don’t have the same “issues” about bags that you boys have either LOL

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oi Binners where’s my manbag??

What about satchels? Are satchels ok?

KT1973
    Free Member

Coincidentally I have recently purchased a manbag myself. For years I maintained that these were the preserve of the ponce, however I travel internationally a lot and wanted something that I could use as a flight bag for essentials (incase of lost luggage) and also something I could take to the office that looks decent.
    I bought a canvas one by Diesel which burst the first time I used it, so I returned it and then I bought a brown leather one in Heathrow here which does the job nicely and was quite a bargain I reckon. I don’t commute by bike but if I did, I doubt I would use it since I used to deliver newspapers as a lad and I never did like the feeling of it walloping around.

Edit: Just realised it’s pvc- hence the bargain price! Looks ok though

Pieface

I thought a Man bag was anything smaller than a4 in a satchel style. However thinking about it how else would you carry all that stuff otherwise.

When I was at Uni everyone used to use ‘Record Bags’ which are basically the same thing.

I use a Crumpler bag, it doesn’t have the 3rd strap to make it any use on the bag, but its a lot stronger and more comfortable to carry than a plastic bag.

binners

Sorry Fred. I’ll get it in the post now. It might have the odd latte froth stain on it I’m afraid. Well…. that’s my story and I’m sticking with it.
    It is actually quite satchel-esque in its appearance.

I remember spending a fortune (back in the days when I had money) on a lovely Pierre Cardin leather one. It literally fell apart in about a week. Utter rubbish. I know stick with an unbranded canvas one which was about a fiver off the market. I find it helps me mix with the common peasantry of an afternoon. I draw the line at rucksacks as these are the mark of the spod and gthere seems to be some arcane by-law about teaming them with a Star Trek T shirt 🙂

joeegg
    Free Member

The men out here in Spain have been using man bags for years.
    An English friend uses one but does imagine he is being looked at in a gay sort of way.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My brother recently got one.

I recently spent an afternoon relentlessly winding him up.

But seriously, if you need one, get one.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Timbuk2, had a Manhattan Portage one but it was too small and Cordurouy does bad things to t shirts.

Timbuk2 some useful i-pad gubbins on their website and you get loads of flashy colours to brighten your sole

Although I have one and my boss came over the other day and commented of my “united colors of benetton manbag”

DaRC_L

It might have the odd latte froth stain on it I’m afraid.

Is that what they call it now 🙄

CountZero

I always thought Manbags were those tiny little pouch things with a strap you carried over your shoulder which were just big enough to carry a wallet, mobi, some cash and cards, so you didn’t spoil the lines of your fancy jacket and slim fit trousers or jeans. A courier/messenger bag, record bag or poacher bag isn’t a ‘manbag’, by the original definition of such. I used to use a green canvas paperboy bag when I was at college, perfect for carrying all my stuff on the train to Bristol, but it used to stain anything light coloured green. Now I always use a courier bag, a Karrimor one for work, which always has loads of junk in, multitools, food, drink, pens, iPod, bike lock, lights…
    I’d like to see someone get that lot in their pockets. I’ve also got a really big Timbuktoo bag I picked up half price, a black one with the reflective strip round the middle. That gets used weekends, last Saturday it had three bags of birdseed, fat balls and fat filled coconut for the garden, which took up a lot of space, it often has my camera in it, sometimetimes a waterproof, loads of other stuff. Invaluable, couldn’t manage without it.

flamejob
    Free Member

I’m with CountZero on this one. There is a clear difference between the ManBag and the courier bag.

As joeegg said it’s a cultural thing. We even use one of those granny trolly things here is Spain, everyone has one*. A mate who came to visit and do a bit of ‘biking nearly pissed himself when I grabbed it to go to the shops.

*Of course, mine is totally pimped _wonders if you can get Ti frames for them_

forgotmename
    Free Member

Check out the Atom or the mini mass bag from patagonia, they are useful and not too big.

ourmaninthenorth

I have three over-the-shoulder bags:

1. Gravis satchel. Ideal for holidays.

2. Howies messenger. Not as big as it could be, but useful for shopping by bike, carrying larger items and a lightweight weekend away.

3. Tumi ballistic nylon work bag. 10 years old (so predates laptop pockets), robust as f— and cost a fortune. Will definitely outlast me. My favourite.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Man Bags’ is closed to new replies.