Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mam Tor descent
  • DelPaggio
    Free Member

Top section of this trail has been leveled, only the top loose bit and not the tiwsty section after the second gate. The best bit of the trail is intact but its definately changed for the worse from a MTB persepctive..

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=412522&y=384045&z=120&sv=412522,384045&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=524&ax=412522&ay=384045&lm=0

I haven’t ridden it for a couple of weeks so this may be old news, the changes looked pretty recent though. Think compacted shingle.

scruff
    Free Member

🙁

BadlyWiredDog

It was great in the snow last week and it’s only the top section which was pretty dull anyway imo…

Pook

this bit?

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/17525661[/video]

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i like the top bit, thought it was super super scary fast if you let fly 🙁 be a little bit more poopy if its now just flat, not that i remember it being massively rocky or anything, as i said above it was pretty fast once you started pedalling!

still one of the best descents in the peaks for me that, would have never known it if it wasnt for SIR. Pook 😉

jools182
    Free Member

Is this going towards Edale?

Pook

From Mam Nick to Greenlands Farm.

OWildy, is that you dave?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

tis’ sir 🙂

great little descent, nice little vid too! definitely thrash it done that in the summer, i scared myself to death flying down that in the height of summer 8)

antigee

was out on road bike a couple of weeks ago and a dumper truck and small digger very busy working on 100m or so section starting from Mam Nick

Baldysquirt

The very top bit was always a bog anyway, so it’s probably not the worst that could have happened.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

top bit was always very slippery ruts, interesting but never going to be left that way in the long run as it allows too much water erosion.

Rode the path to the right of that one from the Man Nick gate, goes up the shoulder of Mam Tor and down to Hollins X. That has been smoothed off, filling in the small ruts, and seemed to have been done quite considerately as it was still generally narrowish and stayed on the line of the existing path rather than straight lining the small corners.

The track from Hollins X down to Greenlands Farm (rock steps at the top) is getting rally bad though, ruts really starting to deepen on the lower section. Makes for a great DH though

simonm
    Free Member

looks better now, the top was crappy boggy and greasy most of time.. maybe a better option to climb now ?

simonm
    Free Member

looks better now, the top was crappy boggy and greasy most of time.. maybe a better option to climb now ?

DelPaggio
    Free Member

Pook, that’s the one. Thought I’d heard it called something like the chute before. Still well worth doing as a descent, especially if you go up Greenlands afterwards and back down Backtor Bridge.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wheres greenlands and backtor bridge? any good?

DelPaggio
    Free Member

Yeah, I like them a lot. Greenlands is a challenging climb and Backtor is a good little descent when you add the trail in Pooks video. Couple of little step downs and even 2 corners (in the peak district!).

Means you go up and down the same hill a couple of times, but if you don’t mind that they’re well worth a bash. Can get a bit muddy if its been really wet.

Greenlands: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=412884&y=384535&z=120&sv=412884,384535&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=525&ax=412884&ay=384535&lm=0

Backtor bridge: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=413797&y=384810&z=115&sv=413797,384810&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=525&ax=413797&ay=384810&lm=0

thepodge
    Free Member

Who’s video?

Tsk tsk!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

del paggio – yeah know the climb bit in greenlands, tough old slog up there in the mud!

didnt know about that backtor one though, any video footage of said descent? always climb up to hollins clough then descent the opposite way towards jacobs way….

i will defo check it out if its another cheeky descent like the one pook linked in the video! interesting indeeedy!!!

thepodge
    Free Member

Its not cheaky, its legal

Bunnyhop

We call it the ‘Bob sleigh run’.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so all those descents (the one pook video’d) and the this backtor bridge one are legal? i could have sworn somebody told me the one pooks video is illegal for riders? i may be getting totally confused though so sorry if so, it does look like bridleway marking on a map i think!

i really wanna head up there soon, but more snow is forecast and pretty bad for the weekend 🙁

DelPaggio
    Free Member

Yep, they are both bridleways so fair game. You can work into loads of different route combinations so give it a go next time you are there!

thepodge
    Free Member

I know its legal cost its my video and I can read a map

Pook

Plus Dave, all the routes I’ve ever sent you have been legal!!! and yes, it’s podge’s video. I’d have been going much faster. 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

would you now? I was the only one to catch and pass Will on that ride and he had no chain on. Bunch of slow coaches.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mam Tor descent’ is closed to new replies.