Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Malvern locals, will i get shouted at?
  • rOcKeTdOg

Riding over them thar popular bits after work (1730ish) ?

T1000
    Free Member

No just assaulted

noltae
    Free Member

Let us know how it goes – I’m planning on doing it myself sometime in the next month or so . Are the locals particularly disapproving of riding there?

40mpg

Are the locals particularly disapproving of riding there?

Paid my one and only visit to the Malverns last year. We were on a bit criss-crossed with bridleways but none obvious /signed (open grassy bit on the ridge). Must have strayed unknowingly by a few 10’s of metres and got a right earbashing by some old fuddy-duddy’s.

On another gravel paved path, we slowed right down to pass some walkers, again old guy accosts us with his walking pole shouting slow down. We were doing maybe 5-6mph, certainly slow jog speed.

Strangely though when at the cafe, the same bloke approached us all smiles, asking about the bikes etc. I can only assume (and from what I’ve read) there’s a lot of conflict, especially as its a heavily used, small area with lots of trails.

Lovely place, just a victim of its own popularity. I wouldn’t go back to ride again, but would certainly walk there if in the area.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Never had a problem, then again I don’t use ancient hillforts as a group training ground. Neither do I shout at those who do, but my eyes tend to roll and barely stifle a middle-aged ‘tut’ 😐

Likewise seeing some keen young foo on his gnarly susser grab fast air landing a few metres behind and across from some walkers on the ridge on a busy Sunday arvo 🙄

You get morons in both camps, I walk and cycle so straddle the difference except after dark ona full moon wooohooo! (shiny halo) 8)

rOcKeTdOg

I’ll be going incognito…on a fat bike, bound to go unnoticed

stevied
    Free Member

Normally ok after tea time. Especially in the week..I was out yesterday at 5.30pm and met a few walkers. All were polite and friendly.
    There are some track better suited to help avoid them but if you show a bit of respect to them (slow down or wait if on a narrow path) you’ll be fine.
    If you want some pointers let me know

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sounds like a mucho’ enjoyo’ ride.

Have fun.. take pics 😀

rOcKeTdOg

went up today,very quiet, no hassles

scaredypants

looks like it might get a tad “soft underfoot” after a bit of rain 😯

phiiiiil

The Malverns are brilliant all year round, there’s hardly ever any mud to speak of and not many puddles. The worst I used to get was a bit splattered, it dries out really quickly…

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, all year round trails. It’s a gem.

Snuck out yesterday lunchtime for an hour or so as going stir crazy sat behind the computer. Dry as a bone out. I never get any bother on the hills, but then I ride down at my end away from the grokkels and 75% of the time in the dark at that.

RD next time you’re up, put a shout out and I’ll see if I can join in.

rOcKeTdOg

looks like it might get a tad “soft underfoot” after a bit of rain

it’s a big rock with a scabby bit of grass and soil on it. worst hazard was was dog eggs left by inconsiderate dog walkers

scaredypants

it’s a big rock with a scabby bit of grass and soil on it. worst hazard was was dog eggs left by inconsiderate dog walkers

Ah, looks a bit like churned clart that’s been left out to dry. Reminded me of my local routes 🙁

jimw
    Free Member

Strangely though when at the cafe, the same bloke approached us all smiles, asking about the bikes etc. I can only assume (and from what I’ve read) there’s a lot of conflict, especially as its a heavily used, small area with lots of trails.

I think you were unlucky. Conflict is not a word I really recognise, almost all of the interaction between users in my experience is positive, and as I live 5 mins from the Wyche I’m up there a lot.

There is always a summer moan in the local paper, but is normally by the people who don’t want bikes under any circumstances. I’m not saying that there aren’t idiot cyclists who don’t recognise it is a shared space and set a bad example, but if you are careful and polite then so will almost everybody else. It may be you strayed on to the one track that is signposted at each end as no cycling but not in the middle.
    If you returned outside a busy weekend I think you would be surprised how few walkers are about.
    It is incredibly easy to get onto the wrong track, as there is no signeage, many of the paths south of the Wyche start as bridleways on the Worcestershire side, but when they meet the border on the ridge revert to footpath or even permissive path status with no warning. The OS maps do show this, but even for experienced map readers it is difficult sometimes to recognise which of the many paths on the ground correspond to the ROW’s on the map.
    The conservators are aware of all of these issues.

aracer
    Free Member

Local hills for local people. There’s nothing for you here.

The irony is that down your end you mostly don’t have a right to be there, whilst up this end we do (and the only time I’ve been told off for riding somewhere I shouldn’t I was on a BW 🙄 ).

I’ve actually had very little hassle, and far more friendly than unfriendly comments from walkers – but then I tend to avoid riding at the busiest times, and pick the times to ride some bits (like the above mentioned HRH cheeky) very carefully 😉

I find the easiest solution to that problem is simply to assume that Herefordshire had correctly classified the tracks on their side of the hills – from a legal POV there is well documented use by horses on most of the historic tracks.

slowboydickie

On many an occasion I have ridden both directions over the top of all the hills on a saturday afternoon in glorious sunshine and never heard a peep from anyone. Never spotted the conflict.

jimw
    Free Member

Aracer
    Snap, the one time I really had any hassle was on the wide bridleway just along from the switchbacks above the clocktower.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, I was on the switchbacks.

jimster01

Think alot of the time the “conflict” comes from larger groups of riders tear arsing round the hills.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Malvern locals, will i get shouted at?’ is closed to new replies.