Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Malaysia, Langkawi
  • nosherduke996
    Free Member

Anybody been? Looking at 10 days in March.Was thinking about Bali as well but the flight times have put me off.

mattg73
    Free Member

Went there 10 years ago in the December with the Mrs. Fantastic place, felt very safe. We went all around the island, mingled with the locals in towns and markets, and ate in loads of different places and the food was very good. There was loads to do for 2 weeks. We stayed at the Pelangi beach hotel. Nightlife was very low key and chilled out.

Would love to go back there sometime.

Hth

Matt

mbl1
    Free Member

I never got to Langkawi, but if you are open to suggestions I would highly recommend the Perhentian Islands over the other side of Malaysia.
    Air Asia make it very easy to explore SE Asia.

Duane…
    Free Member

Was there last summer. It’s nice.

stewartc
    Free Member

Been twice, its OK but for nice beaches and cheaper food etc you may want to consider Cebu in the Phillipinnes.

jeffc

I live in Malaysia (Borneo) and have been to Langkawi a couple of times. Not a lot to write home about to be honest. I went there to do Ironman on both occasions. Did a bit of touristy stuff also but if I hadn’t been there for the event I don’t think I’d have had much to do. The beaches are so-so and anyway I’m not a beach guy.

If you are going to go so far I’d recommend somewhere truly special and consider spending some time at Sipadan either snorkling or diving. Bali is more special also – I’m surprised the flight times are no good to be honest – there are heaps of flights there with the likes of Air Asia and other low cost operators. It’s not a quiet peaceful island, however, rather hectic with motorbikes.

beagle
    Free Member

Did Bali for a honeymoon last year. Flights with Qatar from Manchester, resulted in an a 1 hour 40 change in Doha, and a brief leg stretch in Singapore, so not too much faff. Cheap too.

Didn’t want a fortnight at the same resort, especially if it was in the busier south. Thus stayed 5 nights in the semi jungle outside Ubud in a luxury resort, then 5 nights in a spa resort on the north coast. Both truly amazing! Then down to the south for the last few days. I’d recommend seeing more of the island, as the south was very busy. The
    Spa resort and ubud were one offs for us, as we’ll be camping in the UK for the foreseeable, but it was very good value for money for the standard of accommodation/levels of service we had.

The people were lovely and even more so when you tried your Balinese on them. Could do with a 100 minute massage right now!

ransos
    Free Member

I went there a couple of years ago when I was travelling through SE Asia. It’s a nice place if you’re in the area, but I’m not sure I’d make a special trip from the UK. The Thai islands to the north have better beaches (Koh Lipe can be reached from Langkawi by speedboat), and if you want great food and interesting culture, head to Penang (again, accessible from Langkawi by boat). Penang is closish to the Cameron Highlands, which can offer a welcome respite from the heat, which in turn is a bus ride away from Kuala Lumpur.

Duane…
    Free Member

Word of warning about the Langkawi – Penang boat, its 2.5hours of relentless rough water. I generally don’t get sea sick, but was very very close to throwing up. I reckon 30% of the passengers did.

ransos
    Free Member

It was like a millpond when I used it…

konabunny
    Free Member

It was not vomit worthy when I did that boat trip.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Malaysia, Langkawi’ is closed to new replies.