Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Malaga Car rental company – too good to be true?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone used this company out of Malaga Airport? Prices and terms etc seem a bit too good to be true, just wondering if they are? Anyone recommend an alternative, just in case? And, while I’m at it, any tips on non-bikey stuff to do around Archez village near Nerja? Ta v much.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a tv program a few weeks ago about the scams the hire company’s pull in Spain, super duper insurance that you MUST but and something with fuel where they charge You and tell you to use it all then charge you again at double when you return it empty and show you in the Spanish small print that you were wrong!!!
    Proper dodgy

scuttler

It’s a fuel scam. Check out fair fuel policy at http://www.economycarhire.com/frequently_asked_questions.php and book with a company that does fair fuel unless you know you’ll use a tank. That’s not to say these companies aren’t running other scams as punters wise up.

BigJohn

I got a stupidly cheap deal with Firefly at Malaga airport. They make their money by charging for a full tank and not giving you credit for what’s left on return. But as we will be doing a fair few miles that’s not going to be an issue for us.

Jaz1979
    Free Member

I can’t comment on any other companies, but always use http://www.valsrentacar.com/ when I fly into Malaga – very good folks there, and last trip they bent over backwards to help us as we had more than the car could carry.

flatfish
    Free Member

Helle Hollis is a few minutes walk from the terminal.
    Seemed fine for us after a bit of research.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for these tips. Keep them coming…

easygirl

They are not scams, they just charge you for a full tank of fuel, without a rebate
    They make this clear on booking, if yiu are doing a decent amount of miles its a good deal, if you dont use the fuel its not such a good deal
    Their insurance wasent too expensive, and we had a new seat car

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve used Malaga cars loads, no issues. I think there’s a rougher Malaga cars website though so use malagacar.com

ndthornton
    Free Member

firefly are pretty good – used last week.

We had to wait ages on arrival though despite having booked in advance. it was very busy and you have to get a ticket with a number on. A bit like the cheese counter at Morrisons 🙄

Was a bit concerned about “too good to be true” but not too bad in the end.
    As has been said – use all your fuel and return empty. Leave it parked up with the engine running if there’s any left 👿

mick_r

We used Malagacar (9 years ago) when we last went to stay with Ciclo Montana – had absolutely no problems.

Got a Scenic to fit 2 of us plus bike and sprog (so needed kiddy seat etc).

No scams, no extra charges and no hassle. We had a big-ish drive, so the fuel setup worked great and saved having to find a garage on the way back to airport.

The only downside was it all got done outdoors (paperwork etc) on what felt like an airport slip road car park. Don’t know if they have a better setup now.

shotsaway
    Free Member

I’ve used Centauro Car Hire at both Malaga and Alicante for the last 4 years. They are in the terminal building in Alicante but off site in Malaga.

They always charge for a full tank plus a bit on collection (Think it was €96 for a Citroen C4 last year) and they tell you that they will refund you on return, providing the car has a full tank. I always fill the car up but in every instance they have always refunded the full amount that they charged me at collection. Last year I put €35 in the tank only 5 miles from the airport and I received a full (€96) refund within 2 or 3 days of handing the car back.

I keep using them because they don’t do the fuel scam, but every year I think they will start.

MtbRoutes

Used Malagacar twice recently to drive to Ciclo and back. I would recommend. Got bike + 2 adults + baggage + pushchair + toddler in a Fiat Doblo no probs.
    You will be offered extra waiver insurance on the day for total cover. I have usually taken it as it isn’t crazy expensive for peace of mind, but I believe you can buy that kind of thing online separately before you go if you’re organised.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Malaga Car rental company – too good to be true?’ is closed to new replies.