• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ontor.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Making the move from long-travel 26er hard tail to larger wheels…
  • gra

Ok, so I have been watching the recent long-travel 29er threads with interest. I usually ride a Dialled PA or an Alpine and love those, but fancy a change. It will be my only mountain bike (likely only bike) so this is what I want (moon-on-a-stick time): Confidence-inspiring on the downs and manoeuvrable like my current bikes are; also faster on the ups and over distances (yes I know – all in the legs and lungs etc.); not too heavy – 27lb ish or less and probably steel.

The riding will be commuting the relatively short trip to work; local woods blasts and longer bridleways; trail centre xc and light downhill and trips to the highlands for longer and/or more technical rides – so basically just riding the bike! I realise that one bike will probably have to be a compromise somewhere.

So far have looked at bikes recommended in other threads like the Canfield Nimble or Stanton Sherpa etc. in 29er, or possibly Soul 275 or the new Stanton Switchback (perhaps more downhill orientated through?)

I’m generally between sizes in lots of brands at just under 5’9″ and have gone with a small Dialleds – would I notice the improved climbing/distance work with going with something still 26er but with longer top tube perhaps?

Not trying to start another 26 vs 29 vs middle one debate, just interested in those with similar experience from similar bikes.

Many, many thanks for taking the time to read.

GEDA
    Free Member

I have had a PA and ride an Alpine. 5.10. I love riding my Alpine but now I mostly use it for pump track, jump and drop practice. I have a Titus fireline Ti which is different but I love it to. Felt much better when I put a 50mm stem on in. It can do jumps, drops and the like. Not really noticed much difference except it is less stiff so if you are going fast on rough stuff you can feel it and this is with stans flow rims.

I still ride my 26 inch wheel bikes more though as they are still fun and wheel strength and stiffness is something that is important to me.

moniex
    Free Member

I have been riding a cove stiffee with 140 forks for about 6 years now, and I have been trying to find a replacement for a while, but nothing ever seemed to tempt me.

Had a go on a BIRD 650b hardtail last Saturday around swinley and really loved it. I was going to get a frame only, but the builds seem so good I am gonna go for a complete bike as soon as I can.

I am 5’5″ with 31″ inside leg and I take a 15.5″ cove. The small bird was spot on (I think it comes up small), a medium should be good for you.

Try one!

Simone

qwerty
    Free Member

Orange Clockwork 120 S ?

650b, 68′ head angle

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I had almost exactly the same brief as yours, I just wanted one bike for all my riding. I chose an Inbred 29 geared frame, managed to get one of the few remaining larges in orange for £150. Absolute bargain. I’m 6″ and had been riding medium FS 6″ travel bikes beforehand.

The bike is quite simply a revelation for me. Not sure how much of it is down to a bike that finally fits me or moving up to the bigger wheels, but after six months, I feel I’ve moved past new bike syndrome clouding my judgement and I still don’t miss six inches of rear travel. I’m consistently getting better strava times (up and down), it rides beautifully and looks the business.

Built up with Hope Enduro wheels, XT throughout, 750mm carbon risers, X-Fusion Slides at 120mm and an X-Fusion dropper post.

iainc

Would you notice a difference going to a 27.5 like the Soul ? Not convinced it would feel much different from a 26..

That said I haven’t ridden one 😛

nedrapier

Dialled PA here too. Wife bought a Singular Swift a few weeks ago. Medium fits her nicely (5’6) with a short stem, and, happily, me too! 5’11.

Took it for a razz up and down Leith hill last weekend. Loved it. Not sure what the reason is for it going up hill so well, but it just feels like you’re getting more “up” per pedal stroke than you should!

Took a few corners to adjust to the steering on the way down (short stem, rigid forks – very direct) Was probably a bit more wheels on the ground than I would have been on the PA with bigger tyres and 120-150 up front, but probably no slower, and just as much fun.

If my wife didn’t have one already, I’d get one! Might have to wait for the next colour…

nedrapier

oh yeh, that ride was on 17mm cx rims and 2.1 semi slicks.

having a pop on Sam’s demo swift with 45mm rims and a knard out front was definitely confidence inspiring!

Stooge looks good too.

Northwind

iainc – Member

Would you notice a difference going to a 27.5 like the Soul ? Not convinced it would feel much different from a 26..

I blagged a short go on a 275 Soul. There was a wee difference, but not enough imo to justify buying new tyres never mind a new bike. Lovely bike though, as you’d expect

I think basically, if you were hoping to upgrade anyway, and get a better bike or a bike that suits you best, it makes sense- you can package it with other improvements at the same time.

kelvin

Reading what you want to do with the bike, and ignoring all the “different is always better” chatter… I’d say a Soul 26.

iainc

I blagged a short go on a 275 Soul. There was a wee difference, but not enough imo to justify buying new tyres never mind a new bike. Lovely bike though, as you’d expect

Interesting….esp as I am on a 26 Soul 🙂 which will be getting kept until I cannae get bits for it !

rockhopperbike

curious about this, not sure that the 29 wheels will be strong enough- but a mate of mine made a good point- same wheels for the cross bike- get a light and heavy duty set- then swap em around

haggis1978

Transition Trans Am, Chromag Rootdown.

gra

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I do like the look and sound of the Singular Swift, and I like the idea of rigid and possibly single speed in the winter, especially for commuting duties, then suspension and gears in the summer. Is it capable enough on rocky descents like In The Highlands and Lakes etc? Bird looks interesting too. Chromag is stunning but a bit pricey for the moment, if I was spending that amount I’d probably be thinking Curtis. The price of the Inbred is very tempting too, shame no stock at the moment. Would be a good cheaper option to give bigger wheels a try.

ontor
    Free Member

Love my kona honzo…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Making the move from long-travel 26er hard tail to larger wheels…’ is closed to new replies.