Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Making the most of my road bike
  • andeh

I collected my first ever road bike today, it’s red.

Horrible conditions, few local trails and a lack of transport drove me to it. My fitness has dropped off quite badly since summer (when I finished training for the Mega) and I want to get back into things.

So, what should I be looking at doing to maximise my enjoyment/rewards of this strange, skinny beast?

I have a heart monitor at my disposal, just a basic Decathlon jobbie. I hear talk of heart rate zones and sprints and base training and all sorts, but I have no idea where to start.

In terms of targets, I just want to be fitter. That’s pretty much it. I will probably race a couple of the Gravity Enduros this year, but nothing too jey.

Cheers all
    Andy

racefaceec90

i recently got a road bike too (it’s black).i plan on exploring the back roads around where i live (which wouldn’t be as much fun on my duster).when i get fitter i also plan on trying to set off a few speed camera too 😉

tbh i have wanted a road bike for a long time,enjoy yours 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ride it, ride it a bit more, ride it for longer than you did before, ride with other people and get your arsed kicked, get fitter and enjoy riding your MTB without getting knackered.

andybanks
    Free Member

As MrSmith said.

Get on and ride. It’s a different kind of enjoyment – get further, see more. My MTB fitness rapidly increased within a month of getting one.

STATO
    Free Member

Your first target should be to ride evrey road on the map within a 25 mile radius, then when you find the good ones use them to get to the best areas and explore again.

andeh

STATO – That sounds like a great idea!

midlifecrashes

New(ish) bike shop in Donny started doing shop rides last week, have a google or facebook search for Cycle Supreme, seem a friendly bunch, with a fair few beginners. Couple of racing clubs handy if you get that way inclined.

geoffj

Your first target should be to ride evrey road on the map within a 25 mile radius, then when you find the good ones use them to get to the best areas and explore again.

Good idea that – also good excuse to get that wall mounted OS map!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just go ride….

Also find some good cafes

Sign up for a couple of Sportives and try and match the fit guys up the hills. You’ll be amazed how far and hard you can ride on the road. HRMS are good for what they are; but ride hard till you feel about to be sick, back off and repeat a few times; that will sort your fitness out. Keep away from guys with tri-bars; they can’t go round corners; well, a lot of them can’t anyway. Oh, and run those tyres at 90-100psi. Enjoy.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I stuck some skinny tyres on a rigid 29er and went out with some roadies and actually enjoyed the none stop peddling. I lost a stone in weight and now when I ride the mountain bike it certainly seems easier. I have since started to build a cyclocross bike which I intend to ride on and off the roads and probably get into CX races when the season starts in May. Your fitness will just improve with all the road work you will do and more so compared to the off road stuff. I only started riding on the roads because of the crap conditions off road with all the bad weather etc!
    Good luck.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Making the most of my road bike’ is closed to new replies.