Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Making 5:10 impact Lows more water/weather resistant?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Any tips? Was thinking of dubbin, and then some silicone sealent on teh cardboard innersoles. Silly/pointless ideas?

Got am40s to use in teh p155 wet

alexpalacefan

I got some paint on fabric waterproofer for mine. Helped a bit.

APF

rob-jackson
    Free Member

where from?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

any ideas lads n laydeez?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Overshoes?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

on flats, lol

speckledbob
    Free Member

I had some 5:10 Basics a while ago and managed to fit some old over shoes on. Did a full winter a worked a treat.

Maybe some ankle gaitors. They could work.

ton

sealskins and mtfu………. 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not worried about wet feet more to do with 2kg of sloppy shoe on each foot and stinking shoes tbh

rob-jackson
    Free Member

oh and love my 5:10 basics, best bike shoes in the world but dying a death sadly

DickBarton

Sell them and get the High versions? Longer cuff can also aid weatherproofness…

Dubbing? (or Dubbin) – whatever it is called…it can help weatherproof kit…no idea if it is usable though.

Tenuous
    Free Member

Nikwax do a “Fabric and leather proof” spray/wipe on thing which should work, I used an equivalent own brand thing on mine and it worked a treat. Go to a camping store 🙂

emanuel
    Free Member

gaffer tape the laces bit.or even better sew some velcro on and make a karver-diy.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

amanuel – have been thinking about that during the night whilst awak with my daughter. using an overshoe (sacrificial)

zbonty

Cling film, silicone sealant and MTFU and buy some decent shoes.

Despite having spent a small fortune on bikes/associated gubbins over the years i have curiously never owned cycle specific shoes. Just plain old trainers for me.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

You’re fighting a losing battle here. Any treatment you put on the shoes whether Nikwax, dubbin etc will get worn off very quickly by mud etc. The construction of the shoes also allows water to get in very quickly due to the number of sections stitched together.
    Best bet in my opinion is either overshoes or Sealskinz which work well. Biking and wet feet, to a large extent, go together.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of pairs of Impacts and really like them, apart from the “sponginess”. It’s pretty wet a lot of the time where I am and they do absorb a ridiculous amount of water and take ages to dry out. I’ve sprayed mine with silicone waterproofer but I don’t reckon it makes that much difference really.

Some people say the insoles fall apart in the wet but I can’t say I’ve had that problem with mine – it’s just annoying that they take so long to dry after a wet ride.

I don’t think there’s really a proper solution, apart from getting some less padded shoes. Someone on a unicycling forum I frequent knows one of the 5:10 people and when I had my first pair I asked him why they didn’t use closed-cell foam to help those of us who don’t live in California. He claimed they already do – I’m not convinced though.

But until I find something else as comfortable and grippy I’ll be putting up with the sponge effect in the wet.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Sealskinz to keep your feet dryish and warm, and shoes on top of the boiler when you get home. Works for me with 5:10 Freeriders in Scottish winters

rob-jackson
    Free Member

its not about wet feet its about wet shoes giving up the ghost when the get soaked and fall apart

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

My Freeriders have done 2 Scottish winters, or 3 if you count this summer, and show no signs of falling apart apart from one little bit of rand coming away from the upper but not an issue

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Making 5:10 impact Lows more water/weather resistant?’ is closed to new replies.