Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Majorly peeved, bike woes
  • br
    Free Member

just checked, and the dropout is wholly within the removable hanger – The same arrangement is on the non drive side. Is this a bad design as hanger snaps , wheel comes off

But still doesn’t explain the damage to the chainstay, which seems to have snapped at the end.

+1 wheel coming out

What frame/bike is it?

Sui
    Free Member

I think teenrat is getting some harsh treatment here.

cynic-al – Member
    what keeps the wheel on?
    It breaks in a way that keeps the wheel on – as has happened to you.

Think about it, it’s clamped by the QR and locknut, nothing is going to break it in there.

From the pictures it quite clearly did break and the QR will easily come out..

wwaswas

I’d be worried if my bike broke there, although given how catastrophic it was for the rear mech as long as the wheel stayed in the frame for enough time to safely brake to a halt it would be ok – it’s not like you’d try and ride it home.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dont forget the other side is intact and as long as the QR remains tight the wheel shouldn’t move. Certainly it should stay in place until you come to a stop.

teenrat

Most of the marks on the dropout/bottom of the seatstay are from this incident. The mech got pulled between the seatstay and wheel ( in an downwards direction) which pulled the chain across the top of the seatstay.

regards to cleaning, yes the cassette is dirty but the bike had just had a good clean/inspection ready for the dyfi – there was nothing to suggest that the hanger would snap at such a low low speed.

yes the wheel remained in place and didn’t come out, but i wouldnt fancy it staying in place if the hanger broke down a fast rocky descent. Plus this would put alot of strain on the non drive side dropout, which appears to be built of the same ‘weak’ material.

My biggest problem is that, after contacting CRC, they dont have a hanger in stock, or know where to get one from. The frame is a sunn, and this now highlights the risk of buying a frame from a company that doesn’t exist anymore.

I’m not sure what happens to a warranted frame if spare, ‘disposable’ parts are not available. We shall see, but hopefully a hanger can be found.

teenrat

Munrobiker thanks very much!!!! i was looking last night but didnt find that site. You are a better ‘googler’ than i am !

Gary_M
    Free Member

regards to cleaning, yes the cassette is dirty but the bike had just had a good clean/inspection ready for the dyfi – there was nothing to suggest that the hanger would snap at such a low low speed.

Doesn’t look clean to me.

Hope you get it sorted though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Everyone knows hanger breakage is proportional to speed.

Have crc got up off the floor and replied yet ?

teenrat

eh, off the floor?

no

Mike_D
    Free Member

i wouldnt fancy it staying in place if the hanger broke down a fast rocky descent

Typically you’re not in the big sprocket on fast rocky descents, which means the mech is a long way from the spokes and extremely unlikely to catch in them (unless the hanger’s already very bent, and if it was that bent the completely rubbish shifting would be something of a giveaway that something was up). It’s most likely to happen when going slowly and/or uphill, the wheel wouldn’t go anywhere. But again, something has to be wrong first (slightly bent/twisted hanger, maladjusted limit screw, bent mech cage) to the cage to catch the spokes.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

My old Kona’s (two – Dawg and Caldera) had a design where a broken hanger removed half the drive-side drop out. I always thought it was a crap design. Just make sure you have a spare hanger.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Majorly peeved, bike woes’ is closed to new replies.