• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Majorca road ride recommendations
  • NZCol

Heading to Majorca for a week soon to get some miles in the legs. Have strava’d etc and found a few routes but any recommendations gratefully received – staying in Puerto Pollensa (from memory). Few easy days couple of longer harder days.

akira

Surely riding along to Sa Colabra and back must be done, nice day out but get up early.

whitestone
    Free Member

Pro Bike Hire do a map of the island with recommended routes, 10 Euros I think.

There’s a couple of climbs up to Lluc monastery that are worth doing – you’d do one of them anyway if you were heading to Sa Calobra. Puig Major is the biggest climb but is best done from Soller: Pollensa to Bunyola via the side roads (there’s a bit you have to do on the main road but it’s not too bad), over the Col de Soller and down to Soller, over Puig Major and down to Lluc then back to Pollensa.

tomhoward

The coast road from soller to Deia (either direction) is sublime.

To be honest, all the routes are amazing…

NZCol

Any directions to GPX files for any of these (I’ll google them all later when I’m home!)

Must say looking forward to it, have never been and a week away from work, home etc in the sun with mates will be fatastically awesome !

DougD

Watching with interest – heading out there end of June with a few mates for some cycling too

These two pages should provide some inspiration:

RCUK’s Ten of the best climbs in Mallorca

RCUK’s essential guide to Mallorca

For GPX files I’d just check out Ride With GPS – they’ve got loads on there.

There’s also here which has the GPX files of the 167km 225km and 312km sportive routes

manitou
    Free Member

A good mate of mine runs tours out there for cyclists
    https://www.facebook.com/vivavelocycletours/

globalti
    Free Member

We are going in July. Since we didn’t ski this year I’ve booked two Trek Emonda SL6 Pros for myself and GtiJ. Can’t wait!

whitestone
    Free Member

If you’re going in July then I’d be getting up very early and doing the rides before it all gets too hot. We’ve always gone at the end of September and it’s hot enough then.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Easy ride would be out to cap formentor lighthouse and back

globalti
    Free Member

Early starts sound like good advice thanks. Do the climbing in the cool.

geoffj
    jkomo

All of the rides above!
    If you get fed up with lager, the Guinness in the Irish bar is alright.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Book yourself on the shuttle bus to Antrandx, best part of 100 hilly miles along the North cost of the Island back, option to drop into Sa Colabra if you have the legs (I didn’t, the climb over puig major in the heat of the sun finished me off).

The ride to Cap formentor and back is sublime (Careful entering the tunnel at speed on the way back if in a group and you’re all wearing sunglasses, it gets awful dark awful quick!).

NZCol

Thanks all 🙂

markgraylish
    Free Member

Even if the weather is bearable, I’d still ride as early as possible as the mountains can get jammed up with huge tour buses trying to squeeze past each other on the narrow, twisty roads from late morning onwards…

stevio

DO Cap Formentor early; i left my hotel (Fergus Spa) @ 8am on Easter Monday and by the time i was coming back down that first climb it was like a line of ants coming the other way…

https://www.strava.com/activities/950530691

mooman
    Free Member

That time of year will see lots of shuttles on roads. Can be sketchy descending with one of those coming around a bend.

The hills are good. But heading inland from Pollenca can be good … lots little cafes on route to San Salvador etc

Shred
    Free Member

As said above, head out to Cap Formentor early. I’m usually out just before sunrise for that ride and it is beautiful and quiet.

Some of my favourite rides are:
    Col de sa Batalla – Sa Calobra
    Orient – Col de Soller – Puig Major

NZCol

Thanks all, brilliant week and 750km and 7500m of climbing in the legs. Ticked off all the suggestions inc Andratx back to Porta Pollenca which was a lovely ride. Da Colabra was amazing, the Strava times even more so and Cap d’Fermentor was a nice easy ride. Great week and really enjoyed the flatlands too, we went quite far that day.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Majorca road ride recommendations’ is closed to new replies.