Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Majorca – Alcudia – good two hour spin out
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Taking Mrs S and the reptiles to Majorca and am planning to drug them for a morning get a quick spin out on one of the days. Where should I head to?

Cap Formentor?

Toward Pollenca?

Give us your ideas

Would love to ride over to Sa Colabra but think that’d eat into too much family time. Be nearer half a day there and back?

grizedaleforest

If you can make an early start then def Cap Formentor. Late start, then give it a miss. Depending on where you are in Alcudia, 2 hours might be pushing it (it would for me). Alternative would be the back roads to Selva then the climb over to Lluc and back with the crowds via Pollenca.

ianpv
    Free Member

back roads to Selva then the climb over to Lluc and back with the crowds via Pollenca.

That’s what I’d do – it’s pretty much my daily loop when I’m over there with the family. It may be a touch over two hours, I usually do that in about 1.40 starting at Pollenca. Col de Sa Batalla is lovely climb.

https://www.strava.com/activities/23372273

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

If you can only get one ride in, I’d go for the Formentor lighthouse ride. Did it yesterday morning as a recovery ride before flying back and it’s stunning.

At least you’ll be able to take your time, admire the views, take some pics… You’d have to go balls out to get up the Selva climb to Lluc and back!

meeeee
    Free Member

^^^ (ianpv)
    slight thread hijack but i’m off out there next week with family but got a couple of days allowed on the bike.

Planning on riding Sa calobra from Acudia, is it better to go up into the mountains from the Pollenca road and then down Sa Batalla on the return, or up Sa Batalla and down past the luc monastry to pollenca on the return

thanks

canny1
    Free Member

Up Sa Batalla if it was me, descent from Lluc much better down the Col De Femenia

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to @ianpv’s route, do it anti-clockwise if it’s early in the morning, clockwise if later. The Sa Batella climb is in full sun whereas the climb up to Lluc (can’t remember it’s proper name) is in the trees. Both are nice climbs.

If you do make it over to Sa Calobra, get there early and get going on the climb back out before all the coaches start heading down – they don’t take prisoners!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cheers Guys,

Food for thought.

Another quick option looked like the little headland by alcudia, any MTB in there? Doesnt need to be gnarschralpalicious, steady away would do:

edit, just done a segment search and it looks pretty full on

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

The mountain biking is pretty poor in Majorca… There are a few trails but even those are studded with vicious outcrops – there’s very little flowy stuff. Anything that doesn’t have a path on it is virtually impassable for anything other than a goat!

I did Sa Calobra on Friday and after about 4pm, it’s empty. Once the lunch coaches have cleared off it’s very pleasant.

ianpv
    Free Member

Up Sa Batalla if it was me, descent from Lluc much better down the Col De Femenia

Yep, I’d go up Sa batalla every time as I think it is a nicer climb than Col de femenia (from Pollenca to Lluc) and (slightly) less busy IME. Femenia is a good descent and you’ll be quicker than the cars so no problem. The bottom half of Sa Batalla is in the shade, can’t say I’ve really noticed a difference in temp between the two. I go up Femenia if I’m heading to Sa Collabra or off to Soller via Puig Major. Lovely riding, can’t wait to get back this year.

Formentor is a good ride too. Spectacular views.

whitestone
    Free Member

Aagh! My mistake – got them the wrong way round: sa Batalla is the one to do later in the day, Femenia is for early morning.

ianpv
    Free Member

meee – if you’ve got a whole day, I’d go up Femenia, across to Sa Calobra (down and back up again if you really want to do it) then carry on over Puig Major to Soller. Go over the Col de Soller (awesome climb that is almost traffic free as the tunnel goes underneath the mountain. Down the other side, over to Bunyola, up the Col d’honner to Orient, then back down to Selva, up Sa Batalla then back to Alcudia via Puerto and along the bay.

Sa Calobra from Alcudia isn’t a full day out so you may as well make the most of it 🙂

I normally do that one day as my bigger ride of the holiday – it’s about 3000m of climbing without Sa Calobra (the diversion down and up Calobra, which will add about 850m and would make it a real big day!).

meeeee
    Free Member

Ianpv – did pretty much thar exact loop a few years ago when I was out there, yeah col de soller was a lovely climb. Not quite as fit now though since the arrival of 2 kids so looking at shorter options!

I’ve done sa calobra before so was actually thinking of taking the turn off to cala tuent on the way down, instead of heading right down to sa calobra itself. Is this a nice road?

Also, got the bike for a week and although I’m only planning on two proper rides (got the wife kids to think about too) like the OP I’ll probably try and get a few 90 min rides in early morning or evening. Anywhere you recommend from alcudia for a short ride? Might explore that peninsula bit that sticks out from Alcudia if that’s nice.

dudeofdoom

Roady mate mentioned to me that Sa Calobra is very quiet in the earlier part of the morning but later on all the roady coaches turn up and disgorge tons of riders making it very busy.

He ran into that Wiggins bloke in the cafe as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Majorca – Alcudia – good two hour spin out’ is closed to new replies.