Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Maintaining my new bike
  • CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

What do I need to do to look after my new full suss bike?

I've had it for a couple weeks now. Clean It after every ride and lube the chain.

What else should I be doing to keep it running smoothly?

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Bump.

Wookster

That will do mate stay away from the pressure washer (dirt worker is good) and use warm water and a bit of muck off or something and it will go for ages. Best thing I have found for cleaning was a bottle brush (one of those avent ones) I got it after wookie Jr came off the bottles really good I have found.

I am sure many will say I'm wrong though, What bike you got then???

Klunk
    Free Member
    CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Spesh FSR XC.

Cool, that's pretty much what I'm doing now.

Do I not need to lube the forks/shocks in anyway? On cleaning them I'm just removing the dirt from the top of the seals.

And in time do I need to re-apply any grease any where?

I might consider getting that book, total bike maintenace/mechanical noob.

mattp
    Free Member

+1 for avoiding the jet wash.

i bought a bike from a muc off addict and it had corrosion in some v strange places which has led me to avoid that too. just warm water with some car shampoo if you're feeling flush and get yourself a selection of brushes and cloths to get in to all of those hard to reach places between linkages etc.

and no "new bike" thread is allowed without pics….

james
    Free Member

"bit of muck off"
    No, avoid muck off or any bike cleaner like it

If there was one thing that came out of that 'fox failures' thread from a while back it was that the stantion wear problem (on RS as well) was down to using muck off

Cleaning and relubing* the drivetrain will help it last longer
    *Relubing mid ride if the drivetrain becomes dry, especially on wetter/muddier rides helps a lot too (not just for longevity, but for efficiency too)
    Checking the chain wear with a chain wear checker tool, you should be able to change your chain 'early' a couple of times and save a lot of wear on the chainrings/casette (ie before the whole lot is worn out and the chain is snapping every ride). Look up an old thread for more info on that

Clean the stantions/seals of the suspension will help (Specialized for one don't want you to use one of those neoprene/rubber shock covers btw)
    Check the manuals for the forks/shock for the various* service intervals, even if you don't intend to do any of them, at least you'll have an idea as to wether its still within the service interval if it goes wrong under warranty
    (*checking and setting the sag and rebound every ride is a bit OTT imo)

If the wheels have cup and cone (mostly shimano hubs) bearings (not cartridge bearings) then its worth adding more grease in from new to make them last longer as they don't come with loads and the seals tend to be alright at keeping dirt out

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Maintaining my new bike’ is closed to new replies.