Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Magura VS Disk
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

Hello fellow riders.

It’s my first post and I’m hoping you/some/anyone can help me with my dilemma.

I’ve got a 2001 Klein attitude race, that’s set up for old school singletrack, so it’s got pace rc31’s and xt double push V’s on the moment but after riding these ‘modern’ trials and the fact I’m closer to 40 than I’ve ever been before is making me toy with the idea of front suss and easier braking.

But my problem is this all new suss forks are disc only, so do I get forks, discs which in turn will need new wheels or do I get older forks and Magura’s?

My bikes only designed for about 80mm fork travel, all new ones are 100mm+ and disc only.

So below I have 3 questions

1. Is anyone out there riding a Klein with 100mm+ forks?

2. Are Maguras any good? I’ve read loads of mixed reviews.

3. Is anyone willing to part x some pace rc 31 with v mounts, XT brakes and XT hubs on 717 hoops plus cash for susspension/disc set up?

Thanks for reading, hope I’ve not bored you too much.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Don’t know if they’re any good, but I did notice these a while back. Would suit your short travel, Magura option.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/21354/Marzocchi_X_FLY_Forks_2000

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Maguras are a lot better than v brakes, though they aren’t as good as discs, especially in the wet. I happily ran Magura brakes on the rear of a non-disc frame for years, but would always want a disc up front.

Main draw-back with maguras is that if you ride in the wet then you’ll have to adjust the brakes every ride and they can be a bit of a faf sometimes. Make sure if you go down that route that you get quick release ones that have the pad wear adjusters built in.

Personally, I’d replace forks, discs and wheel, second hand if on a budget. There are a few forks out there that can be lowered with internal spacers down to 100mm, eg RS Rebas, SIDs. Fox do a few 100mm forks too I think. Some RS U-Turn forks can be wound down to 95mm eg Pike Coils, or Sektors. So I think you have a few options for forks.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

WOW! They’re charging £220 for an 11 year old fork!

Speshpaul

Magura Menga’s – 100mm travel, air sprung so you can set them saggy, will take disc and V brakes. Nice fork.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CMAG0032KK

Bargin

wwaswas

2nd the Menjas from cyclesurgery – nearly bought a pair myself…

you may find they’re just a spacer swap away from 80mm too (but do check)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t run magura forks saggy, they seem quite tempramental between firm and wollowy, took a good few rides to get the pressure just right.

As above though new SID’s etc ar just a spacer swap away from 80mm.

Maybe its time to bite the bullet and look for a new bike? Or ignore the marketing bollox and just ride what you’ve got? Second hand something like one fo the cannondale F500/600/800/900/1000 hardtails make ace old-skool singletrack weppons, but are sus corrected to 100mm, and take disk brakes, my F500 is the only bike I’ve ever regretted selling.

HTTP404
    Free Member

not sure i’d up the travel on a bike that old.
    if you life the front by an inch you can check too see how chopperesque it would look. it wouldn’t tell you how it handled tho.

if you’re ok with 80mm travel then stick with it?

plenty of forks available with 80mm option.
    additionally, you could also wack an Avid BB7 disc brake on the front – for forks which are disc only.

colande
    Free Member

if you wanted to stay a bit retro with the build

i have a pair of 2001 marzocchi z5 which i think are 75mm travel
    might be 80mm,
    they have canti bosses and disc tabs, one side air, one side coil.
    in good working order. no damage to stantions
    would only want what i paid for them + postage, £40
    here’s a pic

also is your frame disc compatible at the rear???

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Magura HS33s have the pad clearance adjustment in the levers, no need to dismantle the QR mechanism.

They are much, much better than V’s.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks everyone I’ve decided on the disk route.

Posted a wanted ad for the bits I’ll be needing

eyerideit
    Free Member

@ colande

I know this sounds a bit… 😳 but my frame is gold so silver forks will look a wrong.

Thanks for the offer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Magura VS Disk’ is closed to new replies.