• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Magura Thor 140 Fork whos got 'em what wrong with them!
  • Wookster

After reading the review in the mag and looking on the interweb they seem alright. I'm after a set of 140mm forks so far been going for the floats these seem good,m I like the travel option etc any reason why not???? Any one tried they used them

chakaping
    Free Member

That's funny, I read that review and thought they sounded a bit dodgy.

heihei

I've got a pair as a replacement for a set of Wotans that kept falling apart.
    On the positive side they are light, stiff, plush, and have good travel adjust. The main negative though is they blow through their travel easily when using the correct pressure as set by sag. This can be improved by using the Albert Select (effectively a platform) on it's lightest setting.

Would I buy them again? Not if paying full retail – I'd get some Foxes instead now they have proper axle systems. However, I suspect given their lack of popularity, you could probably pick a set up cheap, which may be a good deal.

VegiAlex
    Free Member

I love my thors, like previously said they can blow through their travel quite easy but if you run less sag, (more air) they still retain small bump sensitivity and eat square edge and harsh bumps.

johnduke
    Free Member

I thought the review just didn't seem to really commit to saying much.

anyway, I've just got some thors and they definitely need more pressure than magura suggest. Can anyone with a pair give examples of how much pressure you're running?

Northwind

Not to speak for ChrisL, but he's got 2 sets, one that works perfectly and one which, er, doesn't, despite already having made a trip back to fork hospital.

nickc

They're a bit linear, but a bit of compression damping sorts that out. Now I've got the pressure sorted, they're actually not bad. Mine cracked on the left dropout which I wasn't that impressed about, but they were replaced, and since then have been faultless. Travel adjust lever was crap, but didn't use it anyway, so taken it off.

dickie
    Free Member

Rev's
    What about these;
    2009 RS Revelation, maxle light, white, £329.

Crell
    Free Member

When you get them set up properly; which when you've done it once is straightforward, they're very nice forks (apart from the stupidly designed plastic travel adjuster). It can be infuriating though when you're doing it. There's enought tips on the forums though to minimise your pain.

If you can wait get the 2010 model as they've also changed (dropped) the height of the AS+ platform adjuster (gold knob). I had to fit a stacker to stop it striking the downtube.

That review was pretty useless.

Kit
    Free Member

Lets put it this way, I think they're OK forks, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, especially at full RRP. If I could afford it, I'd replace them with those Revelations, linked above. As it is, I'm stuck with them. You shouldn't (I think) have to trawl through internet forums to get them set up properly – the manual should explain this, or they should be more simply designed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Magura Thor 140 Fork whos got 'em what wrong with them!’ is closed to new replies.