• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Magura spares or the lack of them…
  • travellingman
    Free Member

Rebound unit bottom seal not available separately. You have to buy a complete new unit for something like £110. Are they f**king kidding?

Great forks but crap backup. Rockshox next on the shopping list..

peteimpreza

Have you tried any of the German bike shop web sites? The UK support is just a one man band from what I can gather.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yup great kit, but uk support is arse.

andrewh
    Free Member

Dealer support is rubbish.
    i spent ages chasing Bromley Bikes for a spare rod-thingy which operates the lckout on a set of Durin Race forks. Not very helpful at all. eventually decided that I would have to send it away for a service (£80, plus two lots of postage, plus the cost of the part) PITA when I am quite capable of doing the work myself.
    I saw the man from Magura at a race, stopped to ask his advice and two days later the right part dropped through my letterbox. Took 3 mins to fit.
    Top marks to Magura, none to the dealer.

travellingman
    Free Member

Well, glad to hear (in a weird way) that my experience isn’t an isolated one..

Yes, Germany’s always an option. You’d like to think that you could sort things in the UK ‘though.

I think Magura really need to get their heads around the fact that people are capable of fixing their own bikes and that not all work needs to be done by a dealer.

To facilitate this you need to make routine spares available. A cursory look at SRAM’s website reveals fully itemised parts lists, most notably ‘service kits’.

Otherwise people will buy the product once and once only.

Northwind

travellingman – Member

Otherwise people will buy the product once and once only.

Mostly we don’t buy it at all tbh.

travellingman
    Free Member

Don’t blame you!

Your money’s better spent elsewhere in the long term, if that’s what you meant?

andytherocketeer

Think Magura are rather protective and insist that all servicing is done by official qualified technicians, rather than letting amateurs tinker. Magura are not unique in that respect.

Only place I’ve found Magura spares available online is:
    http://www.bike-components.de

(English website, but German descriptions, even has a section to itself)

qwerty
    Free Member

The dude at Magura UK has been very helpful the few times I have contacted him directly by phone.

(Maybe not cheap, but hey you brought German!)

travellingman
    Free Member

I agree, Magura are very protective but curiously parts supply for their motorcycle components is much more extensive. Have a look at Venhill’s website for a comparison.

Buying parts from Germany is definitely the way to go and bike-components.de are excellent to deal with but in this case the seal is only available as part of the complete rebound unit assembly. Even a ‘qualified technician’ would have to fit a new unit even if they were absolutely sure the problem was only a worn seal.

It’s a con to be honest and yes, perhaps I’ve got myself to blame for buying German!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

give Mike Jenner a call.

http://www.racemechanic.co.uk/contactus.html

Top bloke.

dazzlingboy

Yep I can echo a lot of the comments here – great kit but cack dealer support. Dealing direct gets better results and I’ve had 2 sets of fork lowers replaced for nowt on warranty.

Edinburgh main dealer is useless – email and phone messages not replied to etc meaning I’ve had to deal direct which is hard work but when it works it works well. Harder work than it should be.

br
    Free Member

I used the UK guy, very good/quick service and he warranty replaced stuff I hadn’t even noticed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Magura spares or the lack of them…’ is closed to new replies.