Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Magura Forks?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

Anyone using Magura TS8 forks?
    Are they any good?
    Last but not least, has anyone seen them advertised for sensible money? £550 for a set of 29er forks is a bit steep for me.

madjak
    Free Member

Running Thors, they are very good.

binners

Magura forks are bomb-proof!

peteimpreza

“Magura forks are bomb-proof!”

No they are not!!

Got a leaky set in the garage to prove it, can’t be repared propely because the spare unit is no longer made.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have been riding a set of Durin Marathons for around 3 years now I’ve done the lowers service myself around every 6 months as it’s a 10 minute job. They have been reliable, the damping still works as it did on day one with very positive lock out/rebound and they are still unworn and work well. The new ones are supposedly much better with a more progressive and less divey feel which I will admit is a failing with mine ( I run them about 15psi harder than I should to keep them a little stiffer and have around 15ml of oil in the air spring chamber)

You can get them quite cheaply on ebay US that’s where I got mine.

faustus

I also have a pair of Durin Marathons which I got cheaply from a friend. I previously had RS Reba’s from 2005, and wish I had stayed with RS or gone to x-fusion. I’ve found them quite divey too, and also have to run with extra pressure to make usable. Seals don’t seem as good as the Reba’s I had, too much oil on the stanchions rather than a fine ‘sheen’. Too expensive for what they are, and seem technologically behind other brands..

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have three pairs of Durin SL’s and they are indeed good forks and ~I like em, light, they work and they keep a straight line BUT getting them serviced can be a pain as last time I tried you had to post them to a service guy. They come back quick, the guys is good and very helpful but you still have to post them which is a bit of a chore. I also tried to get the Fox guy to look at mine on the Trans-provence as they looked like they were leaking, he wouldnt touch them as he didnt have the tools, so be aware of the support question. P.S the tiny oil leak was just expansion due to hot temperatures and not a problem.

bentudder

I had a pair of Durin Marathons until I swapped to biggerer wheels, and I loved them. They peed all over the Rebas I had on another bike for stiffness, plushness and tweakability.
    They did leave a lot more oil on the stanchions than the RS or Fox equivalent, but this is a good thing in my book – not least because they were intended to do that.
    As above, servicing the lowers was surprisingly easy, and they were noticably stiffer than the similar age Rebas I was comparing them with. The only reasons I sold them were the change of wheel size and the fact that they were colour matched to the frame they went with. Hopefully the new owner is still having a hoot with them at the moment. lovely forks.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The new MT Maguras now run grease lube as the oil lube system was making some people think they were broken due to the aforesaid oil on sanctions (they aren’t, they are designed like that). I think weight to performance Magura’s are easily as good as RS/ FOX or any others and mine have been reliable and have worked pretty hard..

DanW
    Free Member

I have the 2012 Durin Race which are the same as the TS8’s.

+ Very, very light
    + Very stiff
    + Damping is well suited to fast XC riding/ racing- they do not bob and dive all over the place like the Fox FIT I had previously while still maintaining excellent small bump sensitivity. So good I don’t use the lockout.
    + Lowers service is super quick and mess free since they are grease and bushing based rather than having lots of messy suspension fluid all over the place as with other manufacturers.
    + The UK support seems to have improved and in the past year or two and can be arranged very easily
    + Usually available cheaply from German online stores- I paid less than £300

– Not massive mud clearance
    – I’d prefer to be able to run the lockout lever on either side of the bars… as it happens I ditched the remote lockout as the damping is so good, plus a few more g’s saved 😀
    – QR15 wasn’t available when I bought mine and the weight jumps up a bit for these versions. QR versions are still just as still as Fox FIT QR15 IMO

mr_stru

I’ve got a fairly old set of maguras and they still run pretty well despite limited servicing. The only real flaw with them is that if it’s really muddy then the double arch is terrible for clogging. However, it’s only ever been an issue at 24 hour races when the conditions are above and beyond the norm.

No sense commenting on the actual suspension as mine are getting on for 7 years old.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

They seem to be pretty well recommended but I can’t seem to find any for a decent price anywhere!

I think I’ll keep looking around the usual suspects and see if theres any sales on at all.

jambon
    Free Member

My Wotan’s are awesome and like new after about 7 years.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Magura Forks?’ is closed to new replies.