Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Magnetic bracelets. Snake oil?
  • imnotverygood

Ultimately, it is important for the individual to find their own remedies that work best for them, be they clinically proven or otherwise.

The problem is that finding your own remedy involves paying a bunch of charlatans money for completely unproven ‘cures’ That is the nature of the snake oil business. If the stuff is free then I don’t see a problem unless you happen to be Steve Jobs and spend what little time that remains to you regretting trying out alternatives to medicine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

gwaelod
    Free Member

I’d have thought that if arthritis was caused/exacerbated by copper deficiency then then copper taken via foods would likley be more effective at delivering bioavailable copper to the body than absorbtion through the skin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

Copper toxicity is really nasty for some sea creatures though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

gwaelod
    Free Member

Peabody are barking mad loons

aracer
    Free Member

Research has shown that snake oil can result in improvements in health due to the Hawthorne effect and regression to the mean. So its clearly not something which should be dismissed out of hand in the way some people are.

chewkw
    Free Member

Or you can always inject yourself with painkiller … me not a doctor btw. 😯

shermer75
    Free Member

Monkey wore a copper bracelet around his head and it gave him headaches. Fact!

mmannerr

I believe they work.

Same mechanism as when you put correct (spiderman / my little pony) band-aid on your kids scratched knee. Wrong ones do not help at all…

chewkw
    Free Member

Try it coz it might work but if not consider it a donation to generate employment for some 3rd world people …

slackalice
    Free Member

Does it really matter?! For some people stuff like this works for them, in which case, that’s fine. Even if it does take them on a journey that exposes them to all sorts of unscientific stuff and yet involves curiosity and an open mind.

After all, it’s not the destination that’s important is it? 😀

In exactly the same way, for those it does not help, that’s fine too. May they find their own remedies by whatever means and source they choose. Choice is good too and we’re very fortunate to have that choice available to us. Best not forget that one, attitude is gratitude and all that 8) Does wonders for the health that one 😉

Anyway, peace out.

daftvader
    Free Member

If it makes any difference mrsvaders aunt used magnetic collars on her dogs who suffered from arthritis and it appeared to work for them… #justsayin ❗

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, because the people pushing stuff like this discredit proper science. See Matthias Rath, Dr Gillian McKeith et al. Proper science is important, as it’s brought us all sorts of stuff which really does make our lives better – like eradication of smallpox, antibiotics etc. No real medicine which works will be found on an adventure into the realms from which magnetic bracelets come.

slackalice
    Free Member

@aracer – you missed my point, it’s over there. A different place to the one you occupy. A place that appreciates the value of science and discovery, one that eradicates certain viruses and bacteria. Although nature being what nature is, it’ll create a new set to replace the ones that are suppressed.

Even though, science is good, but nature isn’t black and white is it? What I was saying, if you cared to read the whole of my last post, was that whatever approach works for someone, then that has to be helpful for them to alleviate their symptoms. Metals, stones, crystals, medicine, meditation, herbs… The list goes on. Many pharmaceuticals are made from minute extracts of plants. Yew, for example.

That is why I asked if it really mattered what the placebo/remedy is, so long as it works for an individual to help alleviate their dis-ease, discomfort, symptoms, call them what you will.

Jeez, its really not that complicated 😉

CountZero

What about copper bracelets then? Any better?

I’ve got a really nice one, made up of eight strands of thick copper wire. Took the bloke some time to make, because of the thickness of the wire made weaving it difficult.
    I’ve had a very achy knee for some time, and various other achy joints, and I can honestly say, without fear of contradictions, that it hasn’t made one iota of difference at all!
    But that wasn’t why I commissioned it, I just liked the look of a prototype he’d made, so I wasn’t expecting some magical removal of the nagging pain and discomfort I get most of the time.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is what annoys me about this sort of thing. Using sciencey words and sciencey terminology to sell your fake, con artist product. If you want to sell something based on the hard work and painstaking research of all the good people out there who could be arsed (and spend the money) developing it then fine, good on you. If you’re just making things up and using a bunch of weasel words to try and make it sound like something other than the ersatz bs that it really is then be prepared to be called out on it.

From the bioflow website:

I mean, ‘molecules that exit a Central Reverse Polarity field are more efficient’. Are you **** kidding me?!?!?!?

shiatostorm
    Free Member

Hahaha! Can’t believe someone would actually ask about this. Oh well…

aracer
    Free Member

No, you’re completely missing mine, or more likely just ignoring it. Because we’re not just talking about a placebo here, we’re talking about commercial pushing of stuff which encourages people to ignore the real science. Do you think it doesn’t matter if somebody took something sold by Matthias Rath (google him, and his involvement in AIDS treatment in SA) and then regressed to the mean, which resulted in them perpetuating his ideas to anybody else who would listen?

Many pharmaceuticals are made from minute extracts of plants. Yew, for example.

Yes they are. They are then subjected to lots of research and trials to prove whether or not they work. If they work then they get used by doctors, but not if they don’t. Which doesn’t mean that anything else made from plants which hasn’t been subjected to such trials will work (I presume that was your implication). TBH while the rest of your post seems perfectly reasonable, you out yourself with that statement.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Forget magnets and copper. A man at the hospital put titanium in my knee and it worked a treat

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

hey so what about those hologram bracelets from a few years back. I met a guy who swore blind that they work and he got a bit upset when I called bullshit. Pretty odd since this guy’s job was distinguishing bullshit from truth.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Magnetic bracelets. Snake oil?’ is closed to new replies.