Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Magners…
  • Spiced apple and honey – mmmmm.

That is all.

grantway
    Free Member

Full of marketing crap

Jamie
    Free Member

This thread is STW in a nutshell.

skywalker
    Free Member

Full of additives, preservatives, and sweeteners.

Get some proper cider down your neck.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

It’s like putting a new paintjob and a set of Suntour Forks on an Apollo Full Sus bike.

Try Apalls Peronelle’s Blush if you can’t drink unadulterated cider.

Or any other alcopop.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Skywalker, I concur.

Pigface
    Free Member

Geting all superior over apple juice 😆

Edric64
    Free Member

Thatchers dayglo screech is real cider

billyboy
    Free Member

HENRY WESTON’S VINTAGE OR WYCH WOOD

IT IS TRUTH

There is no other solution to your problems

billyboy
    Free Member

I learnt that from Charlie The Bikemonger

Crag
    Free Member

Just had polished off a bottle of Thatchers Vintage and about to crack open a Green Goblin.

Equally, I’ve got a couple of boxes of cheap strongbow in the garage that I down with just as much ease.

Got to love that apple juice.

RustySpanner

Magners is Bulmers with a different name.

Not there’s anything wrong with that, but it does illustrate the power of marketing quite nicely 🙂

northshoreniall

Magners isn’t UK Bulmers in different name. There is a Bulmers over here that only really hit main stores once Magners came big on scene. Magners is still called Bulmers at home. Don’t make the mistake I did and buy Bulmers here thinking is same – tastes quite different.

Muke
    Free Member

spacemonkey

Is shit. End of.

Do as Skywalker advises.

_tom_
    Free Member

snakebite + black or nothing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Skywalker, I concur.

Come back when you learn about cider brewing you clueless stationery salesman.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but if the OP likes it, what’s the problem? 🙄

northshoreniall

Seriously Elfin didn’t you know he needs betterment? and not to be allowed praise a tipple he likes, honestly I despair at your attitude 😀

Their pear and ginger brew is tasty too. And before I’m told, yes I know other ‘proper’ ciders exist but I refuse to be bettered.

_tom_
    Free Member

All cider tastes of rotten apples anyway.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Incidently, the carbon dioxide in Magners is a by product of the ammonia produced at the ICI factory in Middlesbrough. Lovely stuff.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

now here’s a subject I have some actual knowledge of!!

Magners, had 1 on Friday, no choice in the pub (well, they had strongbow..) I left rapidly.

Westons and Thatchers are both good producers, however there are loads of little producers who make some really ace stuff!

Down with magners, bulmers, and strongbow – it’s all crap (IMO of course!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Magners, “cider” without taste for people that don’t like cider

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Magners isn’t UK Bulmers in different name. There is a Bulmers over here that only really hit main stores once Magners came big on scene. Magners is still called Bulmers at home. Don’t make the mistake I did and buy Bulmers here thinking is same – tastes quite different.

This.

Different drinks brewed by different companies that once were the same company. After the split, the Irish side was allowed to retain the name Bulmers for the Irish market. They received a large injection of venture capital cash a few years back from some people that realised that they were sitting on a drink with a massive market potential that hadn’t been realised. So when they launched in the UK, they came up with the name Magners (after Willam Magner who first started brewing cider in Clonmel IIRC).

So when the likes of Flashfart, grantway, and the others at the start of the thread who think they’re too good for STR’s particular brew – when you try to get all superior over what is apple juice allowed to ferment, then filtered, carbonated, coloured, and yes, preserved (even a lot of your **** “authentic ciders” are preserevd and coloured (mostly with Sulphites anyway, which are in nearly every fizzy drink in the world) – remember that the likes of Aspalls, WychWood, Westons Organic (LOLz, organic my arse) wouldn’t be sold outside a ten mile radius of the insular brewery that was making them without the money Magners shoved into the marketing of cider to the middle classes around ten years ago. “Oooh, look, we can drink it over ice Tristan. Yes, I’ll have two of those Aspalls in the really authentic bottles, yaw.” The rest of them are just hanging onto their coat-tails.

Here’s a thing – one of my very favourite ciders is Bath Ales Bounders. So there I was thinking, this is a delicious cider for a company that makes good beer – so a bit of digging reveals that there is a cider brewery in Somerset that has only one brand of its own but brews around a dozen brands for other companies that need a cider in their line-ups. Bounders is one of these. But hey, it’s nice so who cares? So the next time you’re gushing over the latest niche alcoholic Appletiser, consider where it may have been brewed.

EVen that flipping Stella stuff is quite nice. 😆

GlitterGary
    Free Member

So what you are saying is: Magner’s is shite?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I want to know whatever happened to ‘K’ cider.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So what you are saying is: Magner’s is shite?

No, but you knew that anyway. 🙂

northshoreniall

See DD you had me agreeing until that last line. But you know what, you are entitled to think what you like about what you drink without me telling you are wrong, ( but you are 🙂 )

Mastilles that’s the fabulous English education system again, it’s always been spelt with a C. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

I drank it all when I was 15. Sorry about that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@northshore,

That last line may have been stuck in the enrage the authentiques. 😉 Some of them were quite frothy when it was launched.

northshoreniall

Doh, sorry will get on message now. 🙂

Frothy cider, where will the madness end…….

Oxboy
    Free Member

erm Taurus from Aldi anyone? 😆 😛

iain1775
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    I drank it all when I was 15. Sorry about that.

Quality, I was still on Maddog 20:20 at 15

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

erm Taurus from Aldi anyone?

Yay!

Northwind

Proper cider comes in a jerrycan, I thought everyone knew that?

skywalker – Member

Full of additives, preservatives, and sweeteners.

They’re the best bit tbh, the rest of it’s made out of bloody fruit.

djglover
    Free Member

Got any diamond white in?

Jamesy
    Free Member

Weston cheddar valley looks like lucosade but blows yo
    ur head off

grantway
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Magners is Bulmers with a different name.

[Dont you mean Bullshit Rusty ! ]

grantway
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    This.

Different drinks brewed by different companies that once were the same company. After the split, the Irish side was allowed to retain the name Bulmers for the Irish market. They received a large injection of venture capital cash a few years back from some people that realised that they were sitting on a drink with a massive market potential that hadn’t been realised. So when they launched in the UK, they came up with the name Magners (after Willam Magner who first started brewing cider in Clonmel IIRC).

So when the likes of Flashfart, grantway, and the others at the start of the thread who think they’re too good for STR’s particular brew – when you try to get all superior over what is apple juice allowed to ferment, then filtered, carbonated, coloured, and yes, preserved (even a lot of your **** “authentic ciders” are preserevd and coloured (mostly with Sulphites anyway, which are in nearly every fizzy drink in the world) – remember that the likes of Aspalls, WychWood, Westons Organic (LOLz, organic my arse) wouldn’t be sold outside a ten mile radius of the insular brewery that was making them without the money Magners shoved into the marketing of cider to the middle classes around ten years ago. “Oooh, look, we can drink it over ice Tristan. Yes, I’ll have two of those Aspalls in the really authentic bottles, yaw.” The rest of them are just hanging onto their coat-tails.

Here’s a thing – one of my very favourite ciders is Bath Ales Bounders. So there I was thinking, this is a delicious cider for a company that makes good beer – so a bit of digging reveals that there is a cider brewery in Somerset that has only one brand of its own but brews around a dozen brands for other companies that need a cider in their line-ups. Bounders is one of these. But hey, it’s nice so who cares? So the next time you’re gushing over the latest niche alcoholic Appletiser, consider where it may have been brewed.

EVen that flipping Stella stuff is quite nice.

[OH GOD I ACTUALLY READ THIS]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Magners…’ is closed to new replies.