Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 'Magic Gear' Ive only gone and done it, I think……..
  • specialknees
    Free Member

OK I have an old vertical drop-out 456 and have managed to install an Afine 8 Hub gear without a tensioner. It worked because the Alfine spindle has flats pre machined on it which when installed with a 36t front and 18t rear gave perfect chain tension.
    I used an old pre-stretched track chain, so hoping it wont grow much.
    Rode it last night and loved it, just perfect but..
    Im feeling all smug as Im not normally too good at stuff like this.
    how long will it last?

Any opinions?

scaredypants

chains “wear” longer rather than strectch, so it will happen (slowly in summer, quickly in winter IME)

however, they’re are also pretty cheap so you’re pretty much laughing still

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hope it lasts ages fir you. Chain tensioners spoil the “look” of an Alfine or single speed bike.

specialknees
    Free Member

Coolhand.
    I agree, I wouldnt have built it if I had to have a tensioner. Just looks wrong.
    Weirdest bit is (to a non S/S rider) the noise, or rather lack of. No Mech or chain slapping away, not even a noise from fre-hub.
    Love it, been out again today. Love it even more.

meehaja
    Free Member

I ran 36-16 singlespeed on my 456 for ages without any problems from wear. Its a great feeling!

burmaboy
    Free Member

well done! I once did it on my kona caldera with a kmc kool and one halflink for ss.. was sexy

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Congrats. If you buy a half link, then you may be able to fit this after it has stretched and it’ll work its magic again.

specialknees
    Free Member

Not feeling so good now.
    I thought this ‘Mythical Magic’ was almost impossible.

Well chuffed with the way it works though.

Hub gears are the future.!

‘Hoorah the wicked Mech is dead’

thepodge
    Free Member

I have it running on two bikes. Never had an issue with it on the commuter but even with a halflink I still occasionally drop the chain on my mountain bike

qwerty
    Free Member

Hub gears are the future

naaa, bottom bracket gears are the future 😉

yesiamtom
    Free Member

magic gears are a compromise and always will be. I would just get a frame with horizontal or track dropouts.

specialknees
    Free Member

Agree Horizontal drop-outs are the answer but as far as I know 456 steel frame is not available with that.
    Tried Argos cycles and Dave Hinde but both couldnt or wouldnt give me a quote for drop-out alteration.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

It may be a copmrimise but it looks neater and given how cheap chains are the “chain growth” does not worry me. Also you chain “grows” with a tensioner also but as it takes up the slack you do not notice. Ultimatley chains should be changed at 0.75% to preserve chainrings and cogs. I have found 0.75% wear is when a magic gear starts to give slipping problems so I have two reaosns to change the chain.

specialknees
    Free Member

Just Googled ‘half links’. I like them.

Is it still magic though?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘'Magic Gear' Ive only gone and done it, I think……..’ is closed to new replies.