Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Madbid
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Have I been conned? I was trying to buy a DVD box set from some site or another and got directed through to MadBid. The set I wanted appeared to be available so I bought some credits.

However, once I’d got them I could no longer find the item I wanted. Anyone used it? Half the auctions (and all the SMS messages i get and can’t find how to switch off) seem to be for more credits rather than actually being for physical goods.

woody2000

Isn’t it one of those “lowest unique bid wins” sites? So, you’re not buying it as such, you’re just trying to underbid everyone else?

nealglover
    Free Member

Cancel everything and write it off whatever you have spent as a loss.

Sorry, but It’s a tool for separating gullible fools from their money I’m afraid.

It’s not a scam (as such) and I’m sure they provide the service they are obliged to, but it’s no more than a slightly convoluted form of gambling.

Edit- its works on the “lowest unique bid” getting the item. So you can realistically use all your credits, and get nothing. That’s why I see it as a form of gambling rather than a form of shopping.

toby1

No idea about Madbid, the ads are enough to ensure I never use them.

If you are looking for something specific though I find this site very useful find-dvd

crankbreaker

Madbid is a massive con, I got a few ‘free’ credits so thought I’d see what the fuss was. The way it works is you pay for credits at £some up front. Each credit allows you to bid on an item, raising the price by a penny. The items start at 1p. Once you have placed there is a countdown (around a minute) to allow other people to bid. This goes on until no-one bids any higher at which point the highest bidder wins. Then you have to pay the final price to get the item.

Example, if something goes for £2 that means that there have been 199 bids at whatever price they have charged for the credit. So madbid gets the cash for the item and for each individual bid. The real cost to you is final bid amount plus the amount of credits you have had to place. Not quite as much of a bargain unless you get a massive number of free bids!

tomhoward

Woody, how it works is an item is up for £10, you bid on it, then the price goes to £10.01, if no one else bids in the next x amount of seconds (usually 60), you win it for £10.

They make the money on selling bids, and some high price items might take 10 bids to bid once.

edit what crankbreaker said.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Classic case of fool fever.

send a txt of complaint.

Woody
    Free Member

Had a look at it a few years ago and decided I’d be better investing my money on the lottery 😕

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Madbid’ is closed to new replies.