Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Machynlleth pubs
  • nigew
    Free Member

A group of us are heading to Machynlleth this weekend and would like to know if the pubs will be OK with my sons friend coming in on an evening, he’s 16, obviously he wont be drinking alcohol!

The reason I ask is we struggled because of the licensing rules in Scotland when my daughter was that age.

Oh and are there any we should avoid altogether 8)

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I remember one being pretty unwelcoming as we were not welsh.

mattsccm
    Free Member

The White wotsit seems friendly enough. have got s***faced several times there.

superfli
    Free Member

Skinners arms was full of kids when we were there a few weeks ago. He’d probably get served in that place 🙂
    TBF, the lounge bar side was a lot quieter though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Both Lions are always fun. Skinners is dodgy, Forresters is plain scary.

Great curry house and superb beer in the Spar too!

nigew
    Free Member

Ive experienced that in N Wales Stuart!

Could it be The White Lion? ill put it on the possible list, thanks

EDIT Skinners looks dodgy, have a look on Google Street view at the guy outside!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Have stayed there quite often and found it really friendly, ok people speak Welsh, you are in Wales though afterall, deepest darkest Wales though it has to be said! Chippy top end of the High St is highly recommended 😉

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Skinners it is then! I’ll meet you about 9ish Nige. Don’t bother bringing any gear we’ll just get it from the guy outside. I’ve just checked Google street maps and he’s still there! 😉

singlespeedstu

CFH.

You seem to have the Skinners and the curry house the wrong way round. 😆

That curry house is about the worst i’ve ever been in.

The Skinners is just a normal pub with a few “locals” that are quite friendly if you take the time to speak to them. Though one of the barstaff is a bit scary. 😉

nigew
    Free Member

Im intrigued by the Skinners now so will be giving it a whirl, I will report back on Mon 😀
    My sons friend is also keen, just to see if he can order a bottle of WKD or whatever kids drink these days 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stu, always been very well looked after in the curry house. Never so in Skinners

As above, though, both Lion pubs are always good fun.

donsimon
    Free Member

I remember one being pretty unwelcoming as we were not Welsh.

I’ve had the same sort of thing in england too, funny that! 🙄
    Can’t help on the pubs as it was years ago that I last went.

singlespeedstu

always been very well looked after in the curry house

We’ve been in a few times and the food’s always been terrible.
    Saying that though we are spoiled for choice with good curry houses around my neck of the woods.

My sons friend is also keen, just to see if he can order a bottle of WKD

If your sons friend upsets the scary barwoman he’ll be in trouble. 😆

Northwind

stuartlangwilson – Member

I remember one being pretty unwelcoming as we were not welsh.

We just cranked up the scottishness… Think we ended up in the Red Lion and Skinners.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

As long as the barmaids are less scary than the ones in Innerleithan we’ll be fine! 😆

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The White Lion is always good – used to stay there quite a bit a few years back! Skinners wasn’t bad either.

Best pub though was up the road in Corris, The Slaters Arms. I don’t seem to recall it having such a thing as a “closing time” 🙂

Whyte1
    Free Member

we were in the red lion about 4 yrs ago on the sat night before the Dyfi when a massive fight broke out between locals it was great .
    I bet the English that moan about getting a bad reception in Welsh pub’s have pub’s in their towns very similar only they know to avoid them

soobalias
    Free Member

the slaters in corris is the only pub that ive spoken to wellish welsh folks

skinners had better beer than the white when we were there last year

pistonbroke
    Free Member

That guy outside the Skinners can’t be a Mach lad, he’s not wearing a Kaftan (sp?) and sandals. 😉

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Everyone in Mach is right as rain, like SSStu says Skinners is where the locals tend to go. I wouldn’t advise eating in the Wynnstay unless you like a big white plate with nowt on at London prices 😉

Jolsa

Was in the White Lion last night (currently cycling Lon Las Cymru), nice enough, seemed to have a friendly crowd. Oh, and the roast dinners looked great.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Machynlleth pubs’ is closed to new replies.