Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mach Trails with 8 year old
  • cakefest
    Free Member

We’re heading over that way next week for a holiday. My son loves cycling and is a capable mtber on the dirt, but how are the Mach trails for kids? Anyone been with theirs? How did it go?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Almost all of Climachx is nice and roll able if you take it easy. Apart from the start of the final DH, I’d say. There’s a rocky, slidy, awkward bit up there which would probably be best taken on foot.

timmys

I presume he’s talking about the Mach trails rather than the Climachx trail. I did the shortest a few years ago with my wife who is not really into technical trails at all and she was fine (there was nothing technical at all). They’ve since been re-routed but I can’t image they are that different. The shortest would still be pretty long for an 8 year old I’d think but I’m sure you could look at the route and work out short cuts.

Climachx descent is black rated – I wouldn’t consider it for a 8 year old personally.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It is black rated, yes, but it’s really not that gnar until you start taking it at speed. Very few drops, etc.

cakefest
    Free Member

yes, it’s the Mach trails that i meant, not the Climachx. are there any facilities at the Trail centre, or just car park and trails?

i saw that The Holey Trail in Machynlleth has closed. nearest bike shop is probably Summit Cycles in Aber??

mattmbk
    Free Member

No trail centre, you start from a car park in the town centre. Plenty of cafes etc for food and drink. You’ll need a map the sign posting is hopeless. Mostly rideable for everyone but some of the climbs are steep and quite long. Go prepared as you quite quickly end up in the middle of nowhere.

naffa
    Free Member

I’ll second everything mattmbk has said. The climb out of the town is very long on tarmac and then fireroad. I didn’t feel the descent was worth the climb tbh.

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/Dyfi_MTB/Mach123.html

Mach 1 is 16k, mach 2 is 24k and 3 is over 30k.

You end up in serious nowhere and it’s easy to get lost. If it rains some sections turn to pure slop.
    If I was 8 I wouldn’t want to do these loops. Go to Coed y Brenin instead. The last decent of climachx is not so challenging slow. You don’t get many slow riders coming down it. There are many blind corners and brows. If your son’s just out of site a bike could easily plough into him.

Speshpaul

Mach trails are proper old school mtbing, with proper welsh hills and all that comes with it.
    If it goes against you it could be a unpleasant day.
    Climachx is ok and as Gnarr-ness of most of it is down to speed. Slower easier/safer.

I would offer up Nant-y- aran. mid length route is nice and flowing, good fun with lots of rocks (CYB, big climb at the end – nice bit of single track-cafe. Time it right and you can watch the Red Kites feeding, which is worth it.

ElShalimo

I agree with above. If the weather changes the little fella could lose interest and you’ll be out in the semi-wilds

Another option is the Mawddach Trail from Dolgellau to Arthog over the bridge to Barmouth for fish & chips!

iolo
    Free Member

Nant yr Arian’s “Leg Burner” climb will be awful for an 8 year old. It’s in all routes there.

lawman91

Nant yr Arian’s “Leg Burner” climb will be awful for an 8 year old. It’s in all routes there.

It’s easy enough to miss out though, just keep away from moorlands and zorro and it’s pretty flat with only a short climb from the bottom of italian job before heading out towards hippity hop, diggers end etc before a final climb upto drunken druid and high as a kite. I’d say Nant would be more suitable for than the Mach trails, hippity hop is a great learner trail that is so much fun for all abilities. The faster you get the more fun it is though, I’m still trying to crack the minute mark on Strava! 😆

jonathan
    Free Member

For an 8 year old, nasty long fire road climbs are helped immensely by having a nice long climbing sling (or similar) and a couple of karabiners. Mine always hated fire road climbs* (but would happily do single track climbs) so a bit of a tow made it all bearable. Clip around bars, clip to camelbak and go (with a bit of “coordinated start” practice). No point knackering them out if they can save their energy for the more fun bits 🙂

* bizarrely he now (at 9) loves climbs of any description. Not entirely sure what this means for his paternity 😉

grievoustim
    Free Member

I wouldn’t consider the Mach trails – as mentioned above no fun for an 8 year old

Climachx is not suitable either – long climbs for a little one – and the final descent has switchbacks with consequences if messed up. Unless your kid is already used to riding such things it would be intimidating I think. My kids are older and I wouldn’t take them to it personally.

I would recommend Coed Y Brenin – the new new Blue trails (Minotaur?) and Skills area are great for kids – the blue trails have multiple options to turn back to the centre so you can never get too far away really.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mach Trails with 8 year old’ is closed to new replies.