Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Macc Forest – 3 Shires Routes?
  • jekkyl

We’re gonna go up mac forest tomorrow morning, we’ve been up there loads and our normal route is standard, up to descend charity lane, past the chapel, up to cat n fiddle, danebower hollow and then straight up to cumberland clough. I’ve never ventured much into the 3 shires area apart from down to the bridge, stay this side of the river and then straight up to the right to meet the lane and then back up to the top of cumberland clough.

I’d like to mix up the route for some new stuff tomorrow and would like some route advice about the stuff over the river and beyond at 3 shires head. Is there any worth doing? and where might I go please? something to add about 40/60 mins or less would be ideal? would be after a decent descent or 2 as the alternative would be just to double up on cumberland clough.
    Thanks.

jekkyl

or add on a bit after the cat n fiddle down to buxton and back through the goyt?

Stainypants

After Dane bower hollow take the footpath on the other side of the road down to to the river and through the old Quarries. Follow the track along the side of the hill until the footpath about half way along drop through the field and your now at the back of three shires take the footpath to three shire then climb cut thorn to get back to Cumberland Brook. Sorry I’m on hols or I’d draw you a map. This doesn’t add much time but is a nicer way to the bridge.

thorlz
    Free Member

Some options for you.

An 30min add on would be, drop into 3 shires head as normal.
    Cross the bridge and turn right. Climb up (can be a bit tricky in places, for me anyway).
    Carry on past the cottage and through a gate, ride around the left hand bend with the motorbike trails rocks on your left. Climb up the road to the triangle junction and bear left, still climbing. At the end of the road turn left down a track just before the farm (Knotbury farm I believe).
    Descent to the gate turn left, continue along the path, getting gradually steeper and rockier. The brings you back to the 3 Shires pack horse bridge.

Another great extension, this is best done in the week, certainlty not at the weekends or bank holidays (ie cheecky/footpaths)
    When you reach the cat and fiddle Road turn right as normal and then left into peaks view cafe entrance. Climb right up the grass bank, at the top turn left, continue, over the style and keep going, decending keeping the wall on your left. The path eventually bears right away from the wall. Follow all the way, through another gate and at the end bear right, continue to the road.

Choices – Option 1. turn left, then next road left, climb all the way to the to. Here carry up and over the style. Climb up on the path, which beacomes flagged all the way to end (Shinig Tor). Descend down and up. Over the style and turn right. You are back where you were earlier. Above the Cat pub/Peaks cafe. It’s quite a long and tough climb, but a very enjoyable one.For referance Strava has it as 3 mile and 800+ft climbing.

Option 2 (easier) At the road turn right and ride up to Deryshire bridge car park,plesant ride through the Goyt valley. At the end turn right and climb up the road. This lead up to the cat and fiddle Road, just below the pub.

carlos
    Free Member

Jekyll – yhm

Thorlz has a good option from behind the Cafe, my email is similar but different finish and IMO more rewarding, yeah it’s still very cheeky though, but a much better DH, downside is it does involve a road section

Carlos

thorlz
    Free Member

Would that be Stake clough then Carlos?

Down Erwood, up the flag climb, down Stake and back up the road is always a good one, but a little more time is needed.

Either way I’m interested in more information.
    Could you mail me the route as well please.

carlos
    Free Member

No, shushhhh, no cheekies names.. 😉

Sent you a mail

jekkyl

You guys are awesome, thanks very much for typing that all out, really appreciate it.
    Carlos I might email you back later if I get a chance to map it out for the garmin.

carlos
    Free Member

Jekyll – What time are you thinking of setting off? I might join you for some of it, if that would be Ok?

jekkyl

Quite honestly one of the best rides of my entire life.
    Absolutely Outstanding.

carlos
    Free Member

Sounds like you had a giggle then 😆

what route did you do either side of The Goytt?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Macc Forest – 3 Shires Routes?’ is closed to new replies.