Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • macbook/coffee intimate interaction
  • iDave
    Free Member

Persons unnamed spilled a full cafetiere over my macbook on Sunday

As a result it’s no longer white and the main damage appears to be to the battery.

It only runs from the mains and indicates that the battery is not charging.

What can be done to avoid buying a new battery?

Help me out please good people of STW

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I bet it was a Millicano aswell.

Jamie
    Free Member

What can be done to avoid buying a new battery?

Assuming this an earlier model without the built in battery, then try and borrow someones’ battery, or maybe a local Apple store might help you out, to see if it is indeed as simple as a knackered battery. If the charging board is damaged, then buying a new battery will not help.

Edit: You could also try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM to see if that can get things working.

iDave
    Free Member

If the charging board is damaged, then buying a new battery will not help

*fingers in ears*

Jamie
    Free Member

*fingers in ears*

Count yourself lucky. I fried a Macbook Pro last month with a glass of orange juice. Killed the logic board and Apple wanted over a £1k to fix.

…oh and I should add the charging controller is built into the logic board these days 😉

binners

*fingers in ears*

More ‘assume the position’

Mac parts are very reasonably priced aren’t they? I cracked the screen on my Macbook Pro. That’ll be £860 please guv. So you could basically buy a HD flat screen telly the size of South East Asia for that. You do get a whole 3 months warranty on that though, so mustn’t grumble

Jamie
    Free Member

Just let the man reset the damn SMC first!

I am not sure how or why, but somehow, I just know this is Binners’ fault.

binners

*looks sheepish*

molgrips
    Free Member

Cafetiere/laptop proximity fail.

Should’ve got a PC, that’d never have happened with Windows 7.

Jamie
    Free Member

Should’ve got a PC, that’d never have happened with Windows.

Even tongue in cheek, that is tiresome.

maccruiskeen

Whats a STW forumite doing in close proximity to a cafetiere anyway? This wouldn’t have happened with a bean-to-cup machine and freshly roasted beans from a charming website.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not tongue in cheek it’s being deliberately ridiculous to lampoon the whole argument. Or at least it’s meant that way 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Does an espresso cup hold that much coffee??

Blimey..

(walks away with staggered look on “ones” face)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Personally I’d dunk a donut in my coffee.

nickb

This happened to a friend of mine – it killed her keyboard, but the rest seemed ok. She took it back to the Apple Store who told her that there had been a fault with a generation of these macbook keyboards and replaced the keyboard free of charge (despite it being out of warranty). Problem solved!

Definitely worth trying the Apple Store!

If all else fails, I have a very nice Macbook Pro for sale over in the classifieds…
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-ot-15-macbook-pro-216-intel-core-2-duo-4gb-ram-320gb-hd-great-laptop-1

I can do you a deal as you helped me lose about 6kgs!
    Cheers,
    Nick

BigJohn

In situations such as this I spray about half a can of WD40 anywhere it will go then watch as everything starts to get worse, but then over the course of a week returns to normal.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Idave sorry about your computer, but totally off topic can I link to a googledocs copy of your diet from my website.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

has happened to me twice now

1st was me drunkenly knocking over a glass of water in my sleep and the macbook sitting the water all night

2nd was a burst bladder pack in my backpack one day

both times required a change of bettery but nothing else, 1st was done under warranty by apple 2nd time it was out of warranty but the apple guy told me not to buy part from apple and instead to go to amazon or play as even he said apple were too expensive for parts

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve followed the steps Jamie advised and it’s failed to make a difference. The power settings tell me I have 88% battery life, but says it’s not charging. If I remove the battery it knows the battery isn’t there. Bollox. What can I try next?

Jamie
    Free Member

So the SMC reset did naff all? Weird, if the OS is reporting it sees the battery. Hmmm. Try a diff battery then.

You could also try, CAREFULLY, using some contact cleaner on the points on the battery and laptop, in case they have some coffee residue on them.

Longshot though.

BigJohn

You could also try, CAREFULLY, using some contact cleaner

That’s different to half a can of WD40 sprayed everywhere is it? But my way’s more fun, and smells better.

binners

Hang on a minute. Does this mean its now all Jamie’s fault? I bloody knew it!

Jamie
    Free Member

Shit had to spray back at some point.

Kuco

Shame it’s not a powerbook as I’ve got a battery from a fried PB you could of had 🙁

iDave
    Free Member

*weeps quietly in the corner having tried various remedies*

geoffj

Home insurance? Accidental damage?

rickmeister

If it was running Windows 7, the coffee would have gone straight through as long as Windows was “open”…….

*leaves quickly*

prettygreenparrot
    CaptJon
    Free Member

Replacement batteries aren’t that much, cheaper if you get unbranded ones.

iDave
    Free Member

battery replaced, all is fine, 102 swiss francs, now just need to bleach the rest of the case so it matches the new battery,

Jamie
    Free Member

Still surprised it was the battery. It seems a fairly well sealed item and……oh I can’t be bothered. Glad you got it sorted Dave.

nicko74

Nah, you want to get a crayon and colour in the rest of the case so it matches. Or pour coffee over them

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘macbook/coffee intimate interaction’ is closed to new replies.