Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MacBook Pro screen problem – anyone else?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

My 2007 MBP has just last night developed a screen problem. The computer is on and functioning – caps lock light coming on, sleep light coming on, volume adjusters working – but I just can’t see anything.

I’ve spent time this morning searching the web and there are 1000s of other 2007 MBP owners with similar issues.

Apparently, Nvidia graphics cards may be to blame, and Apple are swapping out the problem cards for free within 4 years of purchase whether in or out of warranty.

Anyone else had this same problem? Anyone got theirs fixed? Running a business of mine – how long did it take to fix??

Thanks.

IA

Take it to an apple store if you can, they often can sort it then and there, or in a week or so. Book a genius bar appointment on the website.

meehaja
    Free Member

my wife’s old mac book developed a crack, which killed the screen, but apparently a lot go at the wires where the hinge is, so the computer still works, just not the screen. Apple shop are actually pretty good, told my wife to buy a new screen off bay and told her a website with instructions to do it herself. Obviously she then bought the wrong screen type and dropped the mac down the stairs, but its the thought that counts!

fenboy

mine and a friends went funny a couple of weeks back, we also run our business off them: find an apple dealer authorized for extended warranty repairs, they run a test to see if you have the graphics card thats subject to the recall. they replace logic board and graphics card (as its integral) you get back basically new computer.

wouldn’t go to an apple store as i found them hopeless

expect not to have it for 7-10 days

glenh
    Free Member

Dead graphics cards on older macbooks are a common problem.

Take it to the apple store. Normally fixed in a few days.

mintimperial

Yeah. My 2007 MBP died last year from the same cause, nVidia chip packaging problem. It was outside the warranty period, and I had no Apple Care, so replacement logic boards were looking at costing about £350-£400 before fitting. So I bought a Windows 7 laptop for ~£450 because I needed a laptop sharpish, and stuck the old MBP in the cupboard of dead electrical junk. I wasn’t aware that they were replacing failed ones out of warranty, though. Might have to make a trip to the Apple store…

stevemakin

yep, replaced FOC at the Apple store

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MacBook Pro screen problem – anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.