Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Macavalanche 2016 – whats the trail like?
  • rhid

Its not long to go til this now.

For those who have done it before what is the trail like?

I have watched a few videos and it appears to be a rocky trial, but I did read that there are a lot of boggy soft bits too.

I have never been to the event before so I am trying to decide on tyres to run and more trail info would be great!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Snow, rock, alpine singletrack, meadows, roots, forrest and about 50m of fire Road with some tarmac bits

BoardinBob

Don’t remember any tarmac bits from last year.

(suspect you’re thinking of the MEGAvalanche rather than MACavalanche)

Assuming it follows similar to prior years, each stage will use the red downhill trail. Last year was

S1 = Started just along from the Cliffhanger chair. Fast descent across open hillside, then a pretty disgusting climb up to the top of Creag Dhubh. From there descend to the top of the access chair then down the red downhill trail

S2 = Back up the cliff hanger but this time starting from the other side. Basically following mugs alley ski route down to the access chair and back down the red DH

S3 = Up the cliffhanger again then climb/ push/ carry for 45-50 minutes. Mass start on snow (hopefully) broadly following the same route as S1 with that horrible climb again. Last year on the final descent down the red DH, they took us off piste down some open hillside with bike swallowing bogs etc.

great fun

rhid

Thats good info, thanks

I am pretty excited about doing it!

BoardinBob

Best advice I can give you is don’t bother trying to ride your bike on the snow. Get off and run. I wasted way too much time trying to stay on

[video]http://vimeo.com/127417283[/video]

rhid

Ahhh it was your video I saw then!

That climb looks tough. It does look like its a lot of fun though. Is this stage 3?

Also What tyres are / were you running?

BoardinBob

Yeah that was stage 3.

I went for dual plys and I put my DH wheels on. It’s predominantly down and rocky as hell. Big volume dual plys are the weapon of choice. Tread is pretty irrelevant as there wasn’t too much mud. I think I had high rollers and minions

rhid

I have High rollers front and rear. May go for something dual ply on the front and hope the rear is ok…..

I bought a new bike and its tubeless and I am completely clueless about it! I am not even sure I know how to get a new tyre on!!

BoardinBob

May go for something dual ply on the front and hope the rear is ok…..

totally depends on your riding style but personally I’d go for dual on the back as that’s my much bigger puncture risk (although I’m tubeless)

BoardinBob

I uploaded stage 2. Contains multiple crashes and swearing

[video]http://vimeo.com/161230628[/video]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Macavalanche 2016 – whats the trail like?’ is closed to new replies.