Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MAC users – your experiences with Canon printers please..
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

Looking for a new printer for light office and photo duties.

Canon MP990 currently top of the list but I'm reading just one or two MAC folk have had big issues with it.
    Anyone using a MAC with any of the Canon range please let me know your thoughts.

Also, alternative suggestions would be useful – I'm looking for an all in one with separate inks – esp separate black for document printing.

Please don't suggest Epson though, the one I have had has been nowt but 'mechanical' trouble and very, very costly on ink (I know ink costs are mental for these things but, the Epson takes the biscuit…)
    Ta
    Chris

tails
    Free Member

I have used a IP4000 with a macbook now macbook pro faultlessly since 2006 the printer has just started to print slightly odd on full page photo prints (missing a line of ink) which I need to look at. I would 100% by canon again in fact I rate canon more than mac.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I have a Pixma Pro 9000 for photo printing, it's a pain in the arse really. Inks cost an absolute arm and a leg and don't last very long.

Just bought a Samsung CLP6200ND for general document printing, it's perfect. Cheap, reliable, networkable etc.

The quality of the Canon is amazing though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you've got space I'd seperate your office printing from your photo printing. Inkjet ink can be a stupidly expensive way to print documents.

HP Laserjets were intended to print 50k pages a month so one with a 10k pages or so is like new. On the 'bay You can pick one up with network and dupluxer, including toner, for £100 and it will last a lifetime. All the parts are available if anything does break.

ratherbeintobago

I've never had anything but Canon printers. We've got an MP970 which works fine using the native drivers (it's connected to the router with ethernet & we can print & scan* wirelessly from both laptops with no problems).

The LBP3360 was a complete & total mare to set up, OTOH (as it doesn't work using Bonjour, unlike the MP series); while it worked fine over USB, if memory serves I've got it going on the network using drivers for a different model.

As the poster above has said, I'd separate document printing from photo printing if you can – B&W laser for documents is much, much cheaper in the long run & kinder to the environment as you use fewer disposables.

Andy

*I concede that wireless scanning is a little bit pointless

brassneck

Have a Canon inkjet on the Pro, it's been so reliable I've forgotten what model it is 😳

I'd agree if you want to do a lot of document printing consider a small laser. I take mine into the office to do though, that's cheaper still!
    For photos I tend to use the online printers anyway, their rates are so low and they have much higher quality kit than is practical for home.

Epson suck hard – they used to run ink tanks on an extremely expensive head – so it the short term they looked cheaper to run, but sooner or later the haed clogged and despite many hours of Servisol cleaning were never quite the same.

DrJ

I recently replaced my HP laser printer with a Brother, which was the cheapest I could find. So far I am happy with that.

Militant_biker

Canon Pixma IP4500 here, used it mostly on XP, but have since upgraded to a MacBook Pro and it worked perfectly. I liked just being able to plug and play 🙂 Ink seems to last a good while, and is very easy to replace the tanks on. I mostly used it for documents, but occasionally printed out homemade birthday cards on photo paper. Photos, if they were good enough to print, got sent to Loxley, or batches printed by Photobox or the like.
    Saying all that, I never had to do any maintenance processes (head cleaning etc.) from the MacBook, so can't vouch for how that might have worked.

Father in law has an IP4600 (I recommended it to him, IP4500 was discontinued) with his iMac, and all seems well.

FWIW I never use 'proper' ink, I always buy the cheapy inks from the internet. Never had a clogging problem, and I can't detect any colour difference, but I know more discerning people notice. Meh

Chris.H
    Free Member

I use a canon MP600 all in one printer connected to an imac without any problems.

Prniter has worked fine for I guess about 3 years.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Cheers all – may wind my neck in a bit and just fork out for something simple for document printing then as that's all I really need.- especially as I order prints once a week or so anyway so I can always add personal stuff to that 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MAC users – your experiences with Canon printers please..’ is closed to new replies.