Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mac users – work flow for photo/video viewing and editing (Lightroom/iMovie)
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Got a Mac (first Apple laptop), so figuring it all out, and trying to work out the best workflow for dealing with photos and videos.

Take photos on phone, camera, and GoPro, and same for videos (but mainly GoPro of course).

On Windows, I would manually copy the photo and video files into folders in Windows Explorer. I’d then import these into Lightroom if I wanted to edit the photos. Once edited, the photos would be exported into a new folder, and I’d then upload them from this folder onto Facebook etc. I could also then easily view just the edited photos in Explorer.

For videos, I would use whatever editing software I happen to be using to open the video files up and work on.

So what’s the best way to do the same on a Mac?

I’m guessing don’t bother using iPhoto? I’m thinking import everything off cameras with Lightroom into folders. Edit, export, and upload photos as before. One thing that this doesn’t allow me to easily do is view just the edited photos – I either have to go through the folder of edited photos in Preview (if I’m not using iPhoto at all), or use tags in Lightroom to just view the edited photos (or reimport the edited folder to view in LR, even worse) – none of these options are slick at all.

I’m just using iMovie for editing videos for now – can I get that to just pull videos from where Lightroom imports them to, rather than having to import them into the iMovie Library, wasting space?

Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Duane.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I use Aperture for pics and Final Cut for video.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m guessing don’t bother using iPhoto?

Seeing as Apple but a bullet in both iPhoto and Aperture last month, probably best to stick with Adobe.

Apple to replace Aperture and iPhoto with Photos for OS X early next year

eddiebaby
    Free Member

? eeek!

duntstick
    Free Member

Workflow……………….Just go ahead

Sandwich

New Photos app due with Yosemite in October-ish time, possibly!!! A replacement for Aperture and iPhoto probably with an iOS style interface.

Jamie
    Free Member

iOS style interface.

*puts bullet in own head*

Duane…
    Free Member

One more question for mac-heads.

My MBP boots off a SSD, and then has a regular harddrive for files etc. Will it be OK to move the Users folders to the regular harddrive, as;
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/25932/move-pictures-documents-movies-etc-folders/25933#25933

Ta,
    Duane.

stuarty
    Free Member

Light room 5.
    Job done haven’t used photoshop for yonks
    only when text is required
    Hated aperture and Iphoto was just argh. ..

Sandwich

Damn forgot the *shudders* Jamie.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mac users – work flow for photo/video viewing and editing (Lightroom/iMovie)’ is closed to new replies.