Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • M4 westbound brynglas tunnel
  • dobo
    Free Member

Anyone fancy posting on here tomorrow at 7-8am or so and tell me how long delays are, so i can decide whether to bother going? 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

5live or BBC radio Wales will report on it I’m sure.

Jamie
    Free Member
    valleydaddy
    Free Member

You know it’s going to be chaos everywhere in S.wales tomorrow morning dobo.

It took my neighbour 2 hours to get home on a journey that takes him 25 mins – crazy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Someone with the foresight to think of this posted on earlier to warn STW trail centre types. 🙂

I think one side will be used as a contraflow yes? (haven’t clicked jimmer’s linky)

molgrips
    Free Member

I hope it’s better by next week because I’m coming home.

Top tip would be to come off at the Coldra (J24) and come around the new A48 relief road, rejoining at J28. However there may be many more people doing the same 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Long delays all morning!

mamadirt
    Free Member

I could have a look out of the window for you 😉

Queues at the mo’

tonyg2003

Have a look at google maps traffic. It’s pretty good.

To be honest the size of the queues wouldn’t even mention a report at the Darford crossing every morning.

Good for TV news story though with burning truck images.

project
    Free Member

The roof of the tunnel and the services running on the roof seem quite damaged, expect weeks of delays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14302107

The problem with tunnel fires is the localised heat,along with the fire spread along the roof,that destroys the electrical and comand cabling for the services there,and floor(road will be melted as well, then theres all the smoke damage, to signs etc.

Just very lucky everyone got out ok.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Jebus, thats gonna add a fair bit of time to my trips to S.Wales 🙁

DaveP

Wife said it was fine, getting off at Coldra. Must have gone through there around 9am.

stumpyjon

Based on previous expereince of the area with road works it’s gonna be bad. Thankful it happened while the schools are off. Really hope it’s all reopenned before September…..

faint
    Free Member

isn’t this weekend the first of the school holidays though, I certainly don’t fancy risking it. I also think it is a plot by Welsh Nationalists to annoy holiday makers heading for west Wales.

mamadirt
    Free Member

DaveP – Member

Wife said it was fine, getting off at Coldra. Must have gone through there around 9am.

Yep, reckon that’s the best bet. Just got back from a ride and the contraflow traffic is tailed back to the Coldra roundabout.

Pigface
    Free Member

Loads of routes to avoid the tunnels, Coldra up to Usk to Pontypool to Crumlin then double back to Cwmcarn.

If you really want to chance your arm Caerleon then Pillmawr Road past the Gladiator and into Bettws then drop down to the M4 on other side of tunnels, could be risky 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

best way is probably off the Coldra roundabout along the A48 around the bottom of Newport if your coming from the the bridge to Cwmcarn/Afan e.t.c

mboy
    Free Member

Gotta get from Swansea to Bristol tomorrow, understand it was the westbound lane that was damaged.

Any ideas on how everything is now, going eastbound?

LoCo
    Free Member

No sorry, try not to leave the Valleys as much as possible 😉

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

would imagine eastbound would be just as bad as it is one lane only, as the eastbound tunnel is being used for both directions.

Pigface
    Free Member

Swansea, Head’s of the Valley to Abergavenny then a choice down to Usk and over the top to Chepstow or go to Raglan and down the A449 to the Caldra. M4 to Brisstle.

dobo
    Free Member

i didnt go, but ill be going friday now which didnt work out to well

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gotta get from Swansea to Bristol tomorrow

Catch the train? As thehillsofsomerset says, one side is being used as a contraflow.

smiffy

Loads of routes to avoid the tunnels, Coldra up to Usk to Pontypool to Crumlin then double back to Cwmcarn.

Hafodrynys was horrible this evening (for those in cars), so this might not be so good.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘M4 westbound brynglas tunnel’ is closed to new replies.