Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • M4 bolts?
  • meehaja
    Free Member

I’m trying to get some Ti bolts, specifically for the sliding drop outs of my P7 as the steel ones are getting chewed up with me tightening them all the time. Obviously I can take them out and measure them, but I’m not sure how this compares to “M” numbers such as M4/M5 and obviously, the bolts listed on ebay/ superstar etc are described as “stem bolts/bottle cage bolts” etc.

Is it as simple as M4=4mm M5=5mm etc?

Thanks

ajantom

M4 = 4mm thread diameter, M5 = 5mm thread diameter, etc.

But they will come in a variety of lengths. So make sure you get the right length, as trying to cut down a Ti bolt will take a while!

meehaja
    Free Member

Thanks for that… i can always rely on Singletrack to produce an answer to any question at any time of night!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ti isn’t significantly harder than steel so won’t solve your problem.

Get some hex head bolts…on ti?

Burls72
    Free Member

You’ll also have to check the threads have the same pitch. Make sure before you screw them in the frame you put the new bolt and old bolts threads together and they link in. If they don’t the threads will be a different pitch and you’ll damage the drop-out (nut) threads.

Frankers
    Free Member

As above titanium bolts are fairly soft (but light and corrosive resistant) I would recommend getting High tensile (8.8 or 12.9) bright zinc plated (BZP) socket head cap screws

Plenty of decent stores on eBay

br
    Free Member

and Loctite them

cynic-al
    Free Member

Definitely grease not loctite for this application.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘M4 bolts?’ is closed to new replies.