• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • m25 sucks
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

75 miles at an average speed of 21mph
    No crashes or breakdowns, just traffic

wrightyson
    Free Member

If only public transport was better/cheaper…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Isn’t it partly closed because of an accident, or are you elsewhere?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Why did you go the long way round?
    Would only have been 50 miles the other way.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The M25. The road that proves how useful motorcycles are.

Wally

I spent 1 1/2 hours going one junction Wednesday night – Yep “Road to Hell” was right.

Pigface
    Free Member

Mate in St Albans took 2.5 hours to go 12 miles on Wednesday, he was not a happy bunny 😆

Simon

Every time I have the mis-fortune to be on the M62 between Leeds and Bradford at rush hour I wonder how people who commute along there regularly don’t go absolutely **** mental! There must be a better way, sitting in a car for hours is such a waste of time 🙁

br
    Free Member

Yep. I spent the best part of 10 years trans-versing the A3 through to A41 section, don’t miss it at all.

The M25. The road that proves how useful motorcycles are.

+1

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Out of interest what was it like before it was build?

Edric64
    Free Member

Fields ?

Kryton57

There’s been a big accident at j23, closed most of the day I understand.

I’ve left my car at the office near Oxford and come home by train, as I life near j25 and mrs K called to say our town was as blocked as the motorway due to the volume of traffic attempting shortcuts.

iain1775
    Free Member

At least one person who was working on the motorway maintenance is in hospital fighting for his life with ‘life threatening leg injuries’ after being smashed into by a 40ft artic (driver has since been arrested)
    OP be grateful you are still moving, no matter how slow, he may never move anywhere again

(Appropriate forum name BTW OP 🙄 )

DT78
    Free Member

If it helps, the train from waterloo to soton ran perfectly…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

That was going the other way from the accident

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mikeypies – Member

Terrible, when the M25 opened it halved the drive time from Oxford to Gatwick for example. Trying to negotiate the A roads and town centres was nightmare. It also made getting into and out of London much easier, these days you just pick quickest route to M25 then drive round the outside. In the “old days” you had to go cross country through suburban London.

Like all new roads the reduced drive times attracted more traffic, people chose to commute further. The secret with the M25 is to plan at what time of day you are on it, i.e. avoiding the busy times. The M25 isn.t mush different from major roads in most countries in terms of congestion, given it;s the orbital motorway around our largest city and links all the regional motorways, airports etc it doesn’t run too badly.

Hohum
    Free Member

It used to be okay.

Mind you, that was 15 years ago, lol!

crikey
    Free Member

Doesn’t ‘I’m driving on a road and the traffic is awful’ suggest a certain lack of self awareness?

If you’re there, you’re the traffic.

footflaps

When it first opened you could race a 911 around it averaging over 100. Not a hope now.

ask1974
    Free Member

The secret with the M25 is to plan at what time of day you are on it, i.e. avoiding the busy times.

Spot on.

My commute is A3 (25miles) and one junction around the M25. As above if you plan your journey time it’s usually fine but if you casually wonder onto the road during rush hour you’re asking for trouble, especially if you need to use more than a few junctions. That said the north east section (junctions 20-30ish) does seem to get horribly hit with serious accidents on a daily basis, interesting it’s always that section?

My Dad used to commute from Surrey Hills to Birmingham and the M25 transformed everything, it’s actually a pretty amazing road and as Jambalaya notes it’s not that bad really, especially when you consider the volume of traffic and truck roads / major areas it connects.

Still feel for the OP though, it’s a bitch when you get caught.

br
    Free Member

When it first opened you could race a 911 around it averaging over 100. Not a hope now.

Why, at the right time you can go as fast as you want.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘m25 sucks’ is closed to new replies.