Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • M dot tattoos – cool or sad
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Cool or sad?

wwaswas

given I’m over 40 and have no idea what you’re talking about I suspect they’re cool.

finbar
    Free Member

Put me down for sad. Same as getting a Nike or an Adidas tattoo.

philconsequence
    Free Member

not my thing personally… but i’m not the one getting the tattoo! if you like… you gets 🙂 if you’re doubting it, then chances are you’ll doubt it even more once its permanently on your skin!

iDave
    Free Member

I think it’s a tattoo you get done when you finish an Ironman triathlon – it boosts your self esteem ‘if’ people ask what the tattoo is you can tell all gathered around how gnar you are/were

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Yes, there was supposed to be an image there but it didn’t appear – like this

Note the bulging calf muscle!

salad_dodger

Sad. Why advertise that you’re a corporate whore? Do you need the M-dot branding to remind yourself that you crossed the finish line?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Do the women get W dot ones?

hora
    Free Member

Only Yakuza tattoos are cool. All the rest remind me of dreary rainy roadside cafes with dirty middle-aged bikers.

llama

Sad on sad people, Cool on cool people

bigyinn
    Free Member

Err, now you’ve explained it. WTF?!

Be like me getting a Specialized ‘S’ tat on my leg.

simonb512
    Free Member

Wouldn’t here be a better place to ask?: http://www.220triathlon.com/forum/ironman-tattoo-t48709.html

big_n_daft
    Free Member

or the IF tattoo worn by some nichemonger or other

Sad on sad people, Cool on cool people

although I reckon he thinks he is the latter rather than the former 😉

MussEd
    Free Member

bigyinn – I guy who works beside me has them both…and recently a wee baby but I’m still convinced he’ll come out and confront his true sexual nature before he’s 50…

simonb512
    Free Member

I shall also add, that unless you completed a full length IM event, then no don’t get one.

Im hoping to do a half distance as soon as I get my swimming up to scratch.

loddrik
    Free Member

All tatoos are shite.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Err, now you’ve explained it. WTF?!

Not really, unless you count buying a specialized as some kind of achievement.

Completing an Ironman is an achievement and some people like to commemorate it by getting a tattoo. I wouldn’t but can understand why people do.

sofaking
    Free Member

or the IF tattoo worn by some nichemonger or other

although I reckon he thinks he is the latter rather than the former

definatley the latter

iDave
    Free Member

What I don’t get, is that if and when I compete an Ironman, I’m unlikely to need a reminder. I’ll have been there at the time, never to be forgotten kind of thing. Seems like a creepy needy/self-esteem thing.

emsz
    Free Member

Tats are extremely personal aren’t they. That m dot thing doesn’t do it for me but if an iron man was a lifetime goal then I could understand why you might get one done.

Keep thinking I’d quite like a tat but I haven’t found a design I’d be happy with and I’m a bit chicken about the needles!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m already regretting the tat I got of an Original Source Shower Gel Bottle after completing last years mountain mayhem.

Joxster
    Free Member

What about getting a tattoo of the Olympic Rings?

iDave
    Free Member

Why would you need other people to know you’d been to the Olympics?

clubber
    Free Member

If you’ve competed in the Olympics then IMO that’s ok in iteself (though going on about it all the time is a different matter…) – it’s properly the pinnacle of (most) sporting achievement. On the otherhand an Ironman tattoo is a bit silly IMO – pretty much anyone could do an Ironman if they were so inclined. If you win one, that’s a different story but crawling round in 17 hours isn’t really a big deal in the scheme of things.

mos

what does the M dot thing mean?

Stuey01
    Free Member

what does the M dot thing mean?

It’s the Ironman triathlon logo.

wwaswas

What about getting a tattoo of the Olympic Rings

or maybe a tattoo of the Olympics on your ring?

U31
    Free Member

Or a big W on each arsecheek?

Stuey01
    Free Member

pretty much anyone could do an Ironman if they were so inclined

My mate says this. Until he’s done one I maintain that he is full of it.
    “I could do it, but I don’t want to” cuts no ice with me. Until you’ve done it, you don’t know you can.

I haven’t done one yet, I intend to have a go. I won’t be getting a tattoo though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I thought about it briefly, as someone I fancy was doing one, then remembered how dull I found swimming and decided they’re were simpler paths to naughtiness.

ourmaninthenorth

Do triathlopes get these tattoos to cover up the scars from falling off their bikes at the first sign of a corner?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

what a load of crap. fair enough get one in gold if you win, but getting one for completing something that 70 year olds can do is for city boys to brag to each other.

Olympics is different, you have to be good enough to be selected. Any reasonably fit bod can do an iron man

IanMunro
    Free Member

Do triathlopes get these tattoos to cover up the scars from falling off their bikes at the first sign of a corner?
    Or starts.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKajY5GlyI[/video]

wwaswas

It has to be quicker to have shoes beside bike and just slip feet in & do velcro prior to getting it off the rack?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like steve-o’s (from Jackass) tattoo. I’d never have the balls to get one but I reckon it would still make me laugh in my 80’s whereas most would just make me cry.

Stuey01
    Free Member

The one of his own face? That is pretty funny.

You ever see the one where Bam gets branded on his ass with penis shaped brand. Now that is something you are going to live to regret!

clubber
    Free Member

Stuey01 – Member
    My mate says this. Until he’s done one I maintain that he is full of it.
    “I could do it, but I don’t want to” cuts no ice with me. Until you’ve done it, you don’t know you can.

I haven’t done one yet, I intend to have a go. I won’t be getting a tattoo though.

That’s a bit silly really. I have no inclination to run a marathon but I know I could and I reckon most people could get round if they wanted to and did a bit of training. To a slighly lesser extent that’s the same for an ironman. Empirical evidence strongly backs me up on this too.

hillsplease

I don’t get it.

At what point do you stop collecting ‘I’ve done hard things,’ tats? There’s scope to wind up with an arm covered in logos like a Scout’s shirt.

Some of the lads I’ve spoken to have done it in 14-16hrs and still insisted on the tat. Still, to each their own.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It’s the Ironman triathlon logo

I thought it was M for Madison!

pitduck
    Free Member

sad 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘M dot tattoos – cool or sad’ is closed to new replies.